Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenSolaris 2009.06 released

Quote:OpenSolaris 2009.06 has been released: "Today marks the release of OpenSolaris 2009.06, the third release of the OpenSolaris operating system. We've shifted gear, bringing you a new set of features right to your door, from the desktop to the data center. New features: network virtualization with Crossbow; turn any host into a SCSI target with COMSTAR; host virtual guests using xVM Hypervisor or LDoms; SPARC support for Distro Constructor, Auto Install, and Snap; Intel Xeon 5500 processor support with deep power management; MySQL and PHP DTrace probes in the WebStack; improved usability of the package management system; ZFS Time Slider snapshot management; contribute new applications with SourceJuicer; Get 24/7 support with OpenSolaris subscriptions." See the release announcement and release notes, and visit the what's new page for further information.

OpenSolaris is a really interesting alternative to Linux with some pretty cool unique (albeit quite geeky) features. It

i havnt tried it yet but i've seen its virtual side in action and it's impressive you can be running an os virtually and 'drag' an app like firefox out of the virtual space and into your current os,

cool stuff

Admittedly I haven