ronGway

libc header files

Hi I am new to linux and I'm stuck trying to update my driver. <_<

I am trying to install NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14.pkg1.run and I'm getting an error: "You do not appear to have libc header files installed."

How do I go about installing the libc header files?

thank you for the help

Ron

I think you'll want to install glibc-devel:

yum install glibc-devel

(as root). You're likely to have a bunch of other things to do as well, and if you want the Nvidia driver I'd recommend going about it by using pre-built packages.

There appears to be a useful tutorial at http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Nvidia-Video-Drivers-and-AWN-on-Fedora-9-86757.shtml which shows you how to install the Nvidia driver using the third-party Livna software repository. (You can obviously ignore Step 3 if you don't actually want AWN, the program they are talking about there).

I think you'll want to install glibc-devel:

yum install glibc-devel

(as root). You're likely to have a bunch of other things to do as well, and if you want the Nvidia driver I'd recommend going about it by using pre-built packages.

There appears to be a useful tutorial at http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Nvidia-Video-Drivers-and-AWN-on-Fedora-9-86757.shtml which shows you how to install the Nvidia driver using the third-party Livna software repository. (You can obviously ignore Step 3 if you don't actually want AWN, the program they are talking about there).

Thanks Hybrid.

Alright it seems to have downloaded. My CPU1 is at 100% :o

my system came with NVIDIA GeForce Go 8200M and this site says the driver supports 8400 and 8400GS. Will it still work? thanks again for your help with above.

I've used the Nvidia driver with a FX 5200 and a 6600 GT without problems. I can't guarantee the 8200M will work, but as I understand it, it is a universal driver for recent Nvidia cards.