Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux keeps crashing

So, I'll just explain the title because the title is pretty much it.

I was upgrading Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04, when I wanted to cancel the upgrade. Then I noticed that a pop-up window appeared. Now the problem is that it had no cancel option on it, so I had to click 'forward'. From that point on I couldn't close the upgrade thing, not even with the task-manager-like thing. Apparently I thought it would be a good idea to log out in the middle of the process, so it will stop.

Well guess what? It worked. It stopped. It gave me an error about the graphics drivers, but I managed to fix that. Now my problem is that Compiz Fusion doesn't work. I can ignore that. What I CAN'T ignore is that Ubuntu keeps crashing randomly, starting within two minutes after logging in up to eight. I don't know what this means but it sure is annoying.

Help would be highly appreciated. Also, I apologize if the topic is in the wrong section. I had no idea where to put it.

Cancelling an upgrade between two major OS revisions is likely to have caused things to get confused and conflicted. You probably have some packages from 9.04 and some from 8.10, so things have gone screwy.

The easiest (in one sense) way to fix this is to just reinstall 8.10, assuming you can easily back up and restore your data. If you're able to d that, you can save a lot of potential hassle from trying to fix broken things.

If you do want to try and salvage this install you now have, I'd recommend first looking at /etc/apt/sources.list. I would probably try and roll back this file to an Intrepid one (ideally, there should be no lines ending in 'jaunty'), then running sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade and sudo apt-get autoremove.

I haven't actually tried this suggestion, though, so you should be aware that it might make things worse. In fact, attempting to fix things might make them worse whatever you try. In my opinion, your best bet I think is to back up the data and just reinstall.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the second one first because currently I can't reinstall. ^^"