Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Input/Output erro

Hello, linux-noob.com! I'm fairly new to Linux and I'm very excited to venture away from Microsoft. I've recently made a ISO of Fedora 11-live and I've installed it before but with a bad setup so I wiped my HDD clean, reinstalled windows vista as the primary OS, and went to reinstall Fedora 11 with the live CD but I got input/output errors for LVM, Fedora installer, and all other applications I tried. I looked up the problem with Google and it says I might have a failing hard drive. I don't think this is the case as I'm using the same hard drive for windows without a flaw. Its a 320 GB HDD that's split 1/2 and 1/2 for windows/Linux. I have the other half of the HDD as unallocated space.

Does anyone have any idea to whats going on? Many thanks ahead of time and I look forward to Linux and linux-noob.com. =]

the error could be the SATA mode of your hdd, can you please post the exact error you get and tell us when you see it (is it during setup, or after) ?

Quote:the error could be the SATA mode of your hdd, can you please post the exact error you get and tell us when you see it (is it during setup, or after) ?

The error occurs when I try to run any program with the live CD. I can get into Fedora with the live cd and do the automatic login, then when I goto install it to my HDD I cant due to input/output errors thrown from everything.

I was thinking about it a bit more last night and would it change anything if I tried to format the unallocated space to something? I thought linux used a diff filetable so I didn't part it.

lol, well, I don't know what I changed but I rebooted twice and it all works. I'm on the live CD now using its firefox to post this while Im installing Fedora. Thanks anyways.