Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I completely remove Wine?

I updated to Wine 1.1.30 from 1.1.24. Then when I tried to run files I had ran previously, like APPLEWIN.EXE, I got a tiny dialogue that said, "Wine File" "Error" and an "OK" button. So I uninstalled Wine 1.1.30 and installed Wine 1.1.29. Same error. I uninstalled that and reinstalled Wine 1.1.24. Same error. I uninstalled that and downloaded Wine 1.0.1, because it was labelled "Stable:" Same error.

How do I get rid of Wine entirely so I can go back to Wine 1.1.24 and not have that "Wine File" "Error" mess and operate all the programs I was able to operate previously?

Thanks in advance!

Which distro is this on and what method did you use to update to Wine 1.1.30 (RPM file, source etc.)?

Quote:Which distro is this on and what method did you use to update to Wine 1.1.30 (RPM file, source etc.)?

Umm... by "distro" do you mean Linux Fedora 11?

The files I used to install were:

wine-1.1.30.tar.bz2

wine-1.1.29.tar.bz2

wine-1.1.24.tar.bz2

wine-1.0.1.tar.bz2

For the uninstall of each I did:

Code:
sudo yum remove wine*

And when extracting each of those I chose, "Extract here." Then I did:

Code:
yum install wine

about half way through it asks,

Code:
Total download size: 29 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

and I answer "Y" every time.

Every time I do an uninstall and a reinstall and I pull up the

Code:
Wine Configuration

it always has the same settings I had it set to before I uninstalled it.

OK, the problem here is that you've mixed up two different ways of installing this bit of software.

You downloaded what appears to be the source packages for Wine, extracted them, but then instructed yum to download a separate copy from the Fedora repositories and install that instead. So you never actually installed the .tar.bz2 files that you downloaded.

If you want to install one of the newer source packages, extract it, cd into the folder and then follow the instructions here.

Quote:OK, the problem here is that you

As hybrid has mentioned, you're mixing together two separate methods of installing software.

Downloading .tar.bz files, extracting them, running ./configure = manually compiling the packages

"yum install ..." = getting YUM to download pre-compiled packages, then install them using RPM.

This is essentially bringing home a film on DVD, then turning on the TV and watching the same film being broadcast over the airwaves.

It is probably easier to turn on the TV and select the channel you want (yum-install) rather than bring home the DVD then spend some time trying to set up your DVD player, speakers, etc (the ./configure stuff)

OK I am going to attempt to explain this in a much clearer fashion.

I first log in to root

Code:
[bakshara@Bakshara ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@Bakshara ~]#

Then I do

Code:
[root@Bakshara ~]# sudo yum remove wine*

and it goes through a lot.

Quote:Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, refresh-packagekit 

about 12 pages of uninstall data

Transaction Summary

================================================================================

Remove 16 Package(s)

Re-install 0 Package(s)

Downgrade 0 Package(s)

Is this ok [y/N]:
I respond "Y" to remove everything.

Quote:Downloading Packages:Running rpm_check_debug

Running Transaction Test

Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Test Succeeded

Running Transaction

There are 16 line of this type:

Code:
Erasing        : wine-???-?.?.??-?.????                                  ?/??

and then:

Quote:Removed: wine.x86_64 0:1.1.29-1.fc11 wine-capi.i586 0:1.1.29-1.fc11

wine-capi.x86_64 0:1.1.29-1.fc11 wine-cms.i586 0:1.1.29-1.fc11

wine-cms.x86_64 0:1.1.29-1.fc11 wine-common.noarch 0:1.1.29-1.fc11

wine-core.i586 0:1.1.29-1.fc11 wine-core.x86_64 0:1.1.29-1.fc11

wine-desktop.noarch 0:1.1.29-1.fc11 wine-fonts.noarch 0:1.1.29-1.fc11

wine-ldap.i586 0:1.1.29-1.fc11 wine-ldap.x86_64 0:1.1.29-1.fc11

wine-pulseaudio.i586 0:1.1.29-1.fc11 wine-pulseaudio.x86_64 0:1.1.29-1.fc11

wine-twain.i586 0:1.1.29-1.fc11 wine-twain.x86_64 0:1.1.29-1.fc11

Complete!

I do that per http://wiki.winehq.org/HowTo where it says,

Quote:Before you install Wine, make sure that there is no previous Wine installation on your system, either from a package or from source. If you haven't yet installed Wine, you should be fine. See the Removing old Wine versions chapter in the User Guide for details. Many Linux distributions come with an included Wine package, but due to Wine's rapid development rate these are usually old and often broken versions. It is best to uninstall your distribution's included package versions and update to the latest Wine version available here.

Now I have downloaded

wine-1.1.30.tar.bz2

wine-1.1.29.tar.bz2

wine-1.1.28.tar.bz2

wine-1.1.27.tar.bz2

wine-1.1.26.tar.bz2

wine-1.1.25.tar.bz2

wine-1.1.24.tar.bz2

wine-1.1.23.tar.bz2

wine-1.0.1.tar.bz2

I had wine-1.1.24 installed. I uninstalled it and installed wine-1.1.30.

Every time I have done an install; I first uninstalled as above. Then I click on the wine-1.?.??.tar.bz2 version I wish to install and tell it to extract here.

Then I wind up with the following folders:

tools, server, programs, loader, libs, include, fonts, documentation, dlls

and the following files:

.gitignore, VERSION, README, Makefile.in, Make.rules.in, LICENSE.OLD, LICENSE, COPYING.LIB, configure.ac, configure, config.log, AUTHORS, ANNOUNCE, aclocal.m4

At the

Code:
[root@Bakshara ~]#

prompt I enter

Code:
yum install wine

to install the version I extracted.

The

Code:
./configure

is from austin987 saying, "Did you install from source? Try './configure' first." See http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=29191#29191 That did not work.

After uninstalling wine-1.1.24 and installing wine-1.1.30 I was getting a tiny error dialog box "Wine File" "Error" on every single EXE file I told wine to run. Even on files the worked perfectly fine under wine-1.1.24.

So, I uninstalled wine-1.1.30 and wine-1.1.29. I had the same problem. I jumped back to wine-1.1.24. That "Wine File" "Error" problem remained. At that time WinHQ said:

Quote:Stable: Wine 1.0.1 (shortlog)Development: Wine 1.1.30 (shortlog)
See http://www.winehq.org/

Therefore I downloaded wine-1.0.1.tar.bz2, uninstalled wine-1.1.24 and installed wine-1.0.1. I was still getting the "Wine File" "Error" problems.

That is when I did the file search and found

Code:
wine-core-1.1.29
wine-pulseaudio-1.1.29

both of which are locked. Since I uninstalled every time; why are those two still there and why are they locked?

I hope this helps to explain everything better.

Bakshara

Quote: 

Every time I have done an install; I first uninstalled as above. Then I click on the wine-1.?.??.tar.bz2 version I wish to install and tell it to extract here.

Then I wind up with the following folders:

tools, server, programs, loader, libs, include, fonts, documentation, dlls

and the following files:

.gitignore, VERSION, README, Makefile.in, Make.rules.in, LICENSE.OLD, LICENSE, COPYING.LIB, configure.ac, configure, config.log, AUTHORS, ANNOUNCE, aclocal.m4

At the

Code:
[root@Bakshara ~]#

<div>

prompt I enter

Code:
yum install wine

to install the version I extracted.

</div>
No - THIS is where you are going wrong. YUM installs packages from HTTP or FTP sources - it does NOT install the version you extracted.

To give you an idea: you have rented a film from the DVD store, then come home and taken the DVD out of its case, then turned your TV over to a film station where the same film is playing. And now you are complaining that the DVD remote control is now rewinding or pausing the film.

Either watch the film on the film station, or watch the DVD in your hand. Either use YUM to install/uninstall from repos, or download the .tar.gz files and COMPILE FROM SOURCE.

If you have extracted the files, you now need to read the README file that was extracted, and follow the instructions within that.

Quote:No - THIS is where you are going wrong. YUM installs packages from HTTP or FTP sources - it does NOT install the version you extracted.

To give you an idea: you have rented a film from the DVD store, then come home and taken the DVD out of its case, then turned your TV over to a film station where the same film is playing. And now you are complaining that the DVD remote control is now rewinding or pausing the film.

Either watch the film on the film station, or watch the DVD in your hand. Either use YUM to install/uninstall from repos, or download the .tar.gz files and COMPILE FROM SOURCE.

If you have extracted the files, you now need to read the README file that was extracted, and follow the instructions within that.

No, step back. I have successfully installed whatever version I chose. I am not having any problems installing any version. The problem I am having is removing Wine completely.

As I stated before:

After uninstalling wine I did a search for wine and got

Code:
wine-core-1.1.29
wine-pulseaudio-1.1.29

which are both locked.

That shows me that wine was not completely uninstalled. Thus my main question, “How do I completely remove Wine?”

Respectfully,

Bakshara

Quote:No, step back. I have successfully installed whatever version I chose.
Not according to your previous post(s).

In This post you performed the following steps:

1. downloaded and extracted Wine-1.1.24 locally

2. used YUM to install Wine-1.1.29 from online repos.

In this post you did the following:

1. used YUM to uninstall Wine-1.1.29 (all 16 packages) - but you seemed to think you had 1.1.24 installed

2. downloaded Wine 1.1.23 - 1.1.30 source packages locally

3. extracted one of the local packages (you didn't say which one)

4. used YUM to reinstall from online repos

Now, if you have installed a package WITH YUM from online repos then you can use YUM to uninstall it:

Code:
yum erase wine-core
yum erase wine-pulseaudio

If you have extracted and compiled it manually, you will need to remove the files you have compiled to delete it.

As a tip: if you do "rpm -ql | grep -i wine" and it shows any wine packages, use "rpm -e" or "yum erase" to delete them. If the Wine packages don't show up in that list, then you have manually compiled them from source - but from the information in your posts, it looks like you're downloading and extracting the source files, running though the configure... then using yum to ignore the locally-stored extracted packages and install from online repos instead.

Hope that helps. I honestly feel the uninstall issues you are encountering are from your confusion over how something is installed... which means you could be looking in the wrong place to remove it.