Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Courses/Certifications

I'm thinking of following a cheaper linux course cuz I find that RHCT is a bit too expensive for my budget. Just wondering your opinions on the following.

http://www.lpi.org/eng/certification/the...ram/lpic_1

I teach Linux Admin courses and do consultancy for many organisations on Linux-related issues (Apache, etc) and in many cases am asked the same thing: should I go for a Linux exam?

The honest answer I can give to these is: "why?". Many people believe having a Linux certification is an entry point to a better-paid job, like an MCSE. Many employers stung by the MCSE debacle now don't rate examinations as much as proven experience.

I feel exams prove you knew the answers to questions put to you at that time and date, and there is no substitute for demonstrative experience. In a job interview I can tell people how long I've been running servers for, let them view my websites, allow them to SSH into one of my servers, field any questions they may have about potential situations - mainly because I have the experience. This has been gained out of necessity of wanting to get things done, rather than wanting to pass examinations.

I'm not going to put you off attempting an examination: they have their places. Just that when interviewing people, I am wary of those that push their examination success forwards, as though it is being used to divert attention away from their inexperience and lack of knowledge. If they show enough experience, drive and motivation, then the exam results are incidental to me.

Hey Dungeon-Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Yes part of the reason is because I find it an entry point for a better paying job. Right now I'm just an ordinary servicedesk employee who gets phone calls from windows users. I want to get more into server administration, I got introduced to linux and I enjoy working with linux because it's opensource. The reason why I'm wanting to follow a course is because when I'm just searching wild around the forum I can get confused with the loads of information. I'm thinking if I follow a course taught by a teacher I will get a better understanding of the material if that makes any sense. I know exams won't get me any further in this but just hands on experience and working with Linux, but employers do like to see official papers these days. So can you help me out or in the right direction as in your years of experience. I'm excited about Linux and wanting to work for it so that maybe in a while I'll be able to do linux administration. But at the same time I feel kind of like lost noob in the linux world who's trying to get somewhere. But on the other hand my main goal now shouldn't be certifications, but just to work with linux and so on. Looking foward to your reply Dave if I may call you that ? :)Gosh, can't wait I have my own internet connection at home again :)

"Dave" will do fine, no worries. I've been called worse!

Firstly, taking a course without the pressure of an exam is worthwhile - see if your employers will sponsor you learning with a view to moving into second/third line support. At the very least it could make you a more informed helpdesker.

Secondly, look at ITIL if you get a chance. This isn't directly relevant to Linux, but more how it is used in an environment, along with things Service Desk staff need to know. I understand it's quite big in the Netherlands.

Lastly - don't be intimidated by the amount of information around on Linux... be thankful that this information IS around! It's all part of a learning curve, and a lot of it will come with time and practise - I am fortunate that I'm with a company that sees me as the Linux Guru and can easily justify time to spend upon research, learning more stuff. I also run several Linux-based systems, so I'm always keeping my hand in... I think that is the key, really - use it or lose it!

Also: I have more confidence in someone who shows willingness to have a go and learn things than someone who can wave pieces of paper in my face. Qualifications really only get you the interview, not the job.

ok dave :)I do have my ITIL certification, but the company I work for is quite different and has there ownn style with a bit ITIL wrapped into it. It was a requirement for me to take for the company I worked for. I worked indirectly for where I work now and they wanted me to to MCSA/MCSA. I started with ITIL and MCDST and then I got taken over. Now I work there directly and my interest lies in linux. Right now I don't have my own internet connection yet, but hopefully tomorrow I'll have my own internet connection. I have bought together a small server and will either keep ubuntu server running it or install centos 5 on it. Will be working on trying several different setups and messing around with it. I want to learn how to setup mail server, webserver, dhcp server, database server etc and I want to work on learning to get along with Linux command line. I do have a book which supposedly prepares for one of the LPI examas, which has usefull information but will follow it and play around with linux as I go; and I am thankfull for all the information out there and forums like this one.Well, I guess if I'm willing I will learn like you said. Well, I hope I will learn more from these forums, and that in future I may be able to help others.
btw did you trace my ip to see that I'm from the Netherlands ;) I never mentioned it lol. :)

Quote:I have bought together a small server and will either keep ubuntu server running it or install centos 5 on it. Will be working on trying several different setups and messing around with it. I want to learn how to setup mail server, webserver, dhcp server, database server etc and I want to work on learning to get along with Linux command line.

...and play around with linux as I go;
That really is the way forwards. It will - at times - seem like an uphill struggle, but the end results are pretty worthwhile. It really is time and willingness to learn that provides rewards.

Quote: and I am thankfull for all the information out there and forums like this one.Well, I guess if I'm willing I will learn like you said. Well, I hope I will learn more from these forums, and that in future I may be able to help others.
That's what they're here for! Also, consider documenting your experiences - you've no idea how powerful it is to discover a fix to your nagging problem that was posted as a minor comment on someone's blog.

Quote:btw did you trace my ip to see that I'm from the Netherlands ;) I never mentioned it lol. :)
Yes, I did - sorry if that appeared intrusive. (I have a good friend who works as a Linux sysadmin at Amsterdam University!)

no problem about tracing, didn't find it intrusive and I don't mind. It just shows me that someone is interested in me :)

That's cool, I work at amsterdam hospital; amsterdam university is part of it. part of is where I work and the other part is in central Amsterdam(that's probably where your good friend works :)).

Good idea about keeping a personal log. thanks for the tip.

Quote:...and play around with linux as I go;

Just want to chime in and agree with Dave on this point. The best way I have found to learn a new OS or a new technology is just to play. Install things just for the sake of it (on machines that aren't critical, of course!) and play around. Break things, learn how to fix them -- that's what I love doing, and you are learning all the time you are 'playing'. :)

got my internet working. now it's time to play with CentOS :)