Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless card not detected / installed
I just finished installing ubuntu 10.04 with windows in dual boot after lots of reading, but my Wireless card is not detected or working, I cant connect to internet without my wireless card, how do i install one, my wireless card is intel wireless 3945abg. i searched net but no luck...plz help

Can you run various commands to look at hardware, such as "lshal", "lsdev", "lspci", "dmesg" - see if the hardware is seen there first?

Also - what (commands/actions/tools) have you tried so far?

I ran commands given by you, i came to an impression that my card is detected (after an update) but i am still not able to see any wireless connections. i manually entered all the details but still it does not connected to wifi. dump of all the commands is attached as open office file. plz help and thank you so much.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2010/post-6054-12771374704919.png" data-fileid="1267">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2010/post-6054-12771374704919.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot.png (Size: 165.48 KB / Downloads: 0)

okay, it looks like it's detected (iwconfig shows that) but not picking up an IP address.

As you're using Ubuntu, try System=> Administration=> Hardware Drivers or System=> Administration=> Network Tools to view configuration information. It could simply be not set to DHCP.

It is set to DHCP, I checked, here is the screenshots

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2010/post-6054-12771389193459.png" data-fileid="1268">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2010/post-6054-12771389193459.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot2.png (Size: 189.57 KB / Downloads: 0)

okay. All I can suggest at this point is to try and add a static IP to see if it can communicate with your DHCP server. If so, then networking is okay but it's the DHCP lease that's at fault.

By the way, do you have DHCP reservation pools? It isn't something like the MAC address not being recognised therefore being refused a DHCP allocation, is it?

Also, do you use any kind of encryption on your WLAN?

DHCP is fine. I use adsl modem + router for internet. MY pool nos are ok it is set to 20+ whereas max no of device which connects are 3 including my cell, i can access the wifi using windows in the same computer. So DHCP is working fine. for encryption i used wpa, but i have already tried by disabling the security all together. it still did not work, so after that I enabled WEP 128bit, (it works fine on my mobile and windows) and it still did not work in ubuntu....cant figure out what am i missing....
I don't have an enormous amount of experience with configuring wireless networking under Linux, but I have had issues before where the card works and appears to connect, but for some unknown reason, it is just DHCP that doesn't work. So I would definitely try configuring this connection with a static IP address and see if that works.

Quote:DHCP is fine.

.. So DHCP is working fine...
You mean your DHCP *server* is working fine. I'm trying to establish if it is your DHCP client under Ubuntu, or the card itself at fault.

If you bind a static IP to the card and get connectivity, then it could be the client-side bit isn't working ("dhclient" under Ubuntu).

Try the following: "dhclient -r" to release, then "dhclient" to request another IP (do both using sudo).

Also check the /etc/dhcp3/ or /var/lib/dhcp3 directories for any other information.

thankx for quick reply, i tried to do static ip via manual in network manager but the apply button is disabled. secondly i connected my computer to modem via wire then it got the ip automatically via dhcp. how can i make that button enabled.

Plus in my case network manager does not even display available SSID, whereas it appears fine on windows and cell phones.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2010/post-6054-12772183796008.png" data-fileid="1269">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2010/post-6054-12772183796008.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot-Editing Wireless connection 1.png (Size: 55.64 KB / Downloads: 0)