Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of Gnome 3?

What do you think of Gnome 3? I think it looks nice but when I tried I often had parts of

gnome3 crashing. I still prefer normal gnome.

Here's what Linux Torvalds thinks about Gnome3

source

What do you think of gnome3?

i've only used it for one day so a bit early to jump to conclusions yet, i do like it but as always with new ways of doing things it will get some getting used to,

if i could remove the title bars (why are they needed) then i'd be very happy as currently they are taking up lots of space

This article may help you remove the title-bars

or this article

thanks, i changed that file and it seems to be better now, but i've got to say i preferred the simplicity and clarity of gnome 2.x, whoever came up with the main ideas of gnome3 didn't think it through properly in my humble opinion, i shouldnt have to hack a text file and use gnome-tweak-tool to get it to look good/functional, and i don't know if it's related but now my cpu is going full whack so my laptop is hotter than it was before

oh my god look at the cpu usage !! is it firefox ???

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1-0-01893400-1312616549.png" data-fileid="1304">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1-0-01893400-1312616549.png[/img]</a>

i'll stick with this for a while but i don't know if i'll adjust to it or revert back to the good old ways....

gnome3 reminds me a lot of the radical changes in kde 4, and i stuck with gnome 2.x just because of that craziness in kde4

cheers

niall

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot-4.png (Size: 184.86 KB / Downloads: 201)

ok the craziness in firefox was some java script in gmail, closed that tab and opened it again, little bit better

but whats annoying me now is the 'start' menu/gnome menu

currently in order to see my screen it's on autohide, ie: double clicking on it seems to allow it to autohide, and now it pops up and down as i go near it,

trying to double click on it again to keep it there so i don't get dizzy seems hit and miss

yup it's going to take some time to get used to this...

not being able to easily minimize apps or resize them is infuriating, what were they thinking ????

well it seems that F10 and ALT+F10 makes life better with regards to my windows,
I've heard many things about how people dislike Unity; I'm refraining from upgrading a ubuntu 10.10 box for fear of Gnome3 and Unity.

well after using it for a week now i like it, it took some getting used to and some things still annoy me greatly but i'll list what i like/dislike below

* feels new and exciting

* i like the way the 'bottom bar' fades in and out

* messages pop up on the bottom bar

* the black theme is clean looking

* pretty responsive and customisable once you download some apps and make some changes

dislikes

* sometimes when i click on activites nothing happens

* why oh why oh why have the removed minimize and close buttons, daft, i don't care if they think minimize is not important, i like to minimize SOME windows so I can select OTHER windows...

* why can't i easily make the top bar 'hide' to the left or right using arrows like in gnome 2 (loved that feature)

* having to press F10 and ALT+F10 to maximze/minimize is ...

* why can't I make the title bar small ? especially on my terminals (rdesktop for example...) stupid waste of space, look at the attached screenshot of an rdesktop session, on a laptop with a small screen having this wasted space at the top of a window is daft, i cannot seem to change it either any ideas ?

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1-0-39638400-1313305123.png" data-fileid="1307">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_08_2011/post-1-0-39638400-1313305123.png[/img]</a>

well i'll continue using it and see how it develops

cheers

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot-5.png (Size: 79.83 KB / Downloads: 209)

But I guess since gnome3 just came it still has a lot of work to do. Needing getting used to and bugs getting fixed or things added.

Maybe with a year or so it will be better than it is now [img]<___base_url___>/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

yeah but if no one is using it... heh,

well i am at least !