Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CentOS/Virtualization

I have a dedicated server and I want to be able to run virtual pc's from the commandline. I know there's virtualbox

and vmware, but is it possible to run and control virtualization software from the command line. Or are there other

options available. I did a bit of searching on google but didn't get further than vmware and virtualbox and openvz.

Anyone have experience with this?

As far as I'm aware, you can create virtual servers and start them from the command line, then SSH into their IP address as normal (they should present themselves as an IP to your network).

As to HOW you do it... not done it meself. Once you get it done, I'd be interested in a quick tutorial from you!

Quote:I have a dedicated server and I want to be able to run virtual pc's from the commandline. I know there's virtualbox

and vmware, but is it possible to run and control virtualization software from the command line. Or are there other

options available. I did a bit of searching on google but didn't get further than vmware and virtualbox and openvz.

Anyone have experience with this?

I know it's possible to control VirtualBox from the command line. You do need a GUI installed on your server to get the package installed (some people have succeeded without, I think, but it is very fiddly), but once it is, there is a suite of command line tools (VBoxManage, VBoxHeadless) that allow you to manage your VMs without using the VirtualBox GUI.

Haven't played with this myself, but you could take a look at this tutorial for Ubuntu, which won't help you so much with installation on CentOS, but might provide some pointers. Also check out this thread on the VirtualBox forums.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks I'll have a look at it but right now I think working with Apache/virtual domains is more practical unless I plan plan on starting my own hosting company [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png[/img]