Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CentOS 6 x86_64 as a Desktop

I just installed CentOS 6 x86_64 as a desktop will post my experiences here.

No installation problems, no start up problems :)

[Image: CentOS6-Desktop.png]

Other Screenshot

I came across a problem. My screen resolution is not to it's max in CentOS 6. So I decided to download this linux ati-driver and I rebooted my pc.

Result I have my full screen resolution now. Problem, I think Catalyst control took over my sound/media control. sound media players sound will work anymore (vlc, mplayer,etc). But youtube videos(firefox flash) do play with sound. When I could to system-preferences sounds you get the message. waiting for sound system. I wasn't able to get it back but I was able to reverse it. I went to the terminal and went and did the following:

cd /etc/X11

cp xorg.conf.fglrx-0 xorg.conf

I then rebooted and had my sound back. I then still had to remove the catalyst controller. You can do that by going to terminal and log in as root:

cd /usr/share/ati

and run the uninstaller in there:

sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh

Reboot and you have completely remove catalyst control center.

Looking back at it I could have just run the uninstaller first lol

But now I don't have my highest screen resolution. Have some black bars around my screen.

Will have to find a work around or try out a different driver that won't mess up your sounds.

Think I will try installing the same driver again but this time try and select a custom install

instead of automatic install. See if I can select what I need to install so it doesn't mess up

my sound.

Other than that had do a google search for a el6 version of filezilla. Chrome worked from downloading the rpm from google and thunderbird was in the repositories. Was able to install it with rpm -i package.rpm

Then it said it needed dependences and I did yum package name and it found the depencies and it works now.

I'm using pidgin right now but haven't been able to get amsn to work, will look more later cuz don't really want to

install it from source. Wasn't able to get teamviewer installed. I was able to get virtualbox installed but wasn't quite working right so will have a deeper look into it tomorrow or so :)

Moderator can you move this topic to CentOS section, it was kind of late when I wrote this and didn't really notice it then

I was able to install the radeon driver and now I have my full resolution. The trick was to do a custom install and deselect catalyst panel.

I was able to get virtualbox working just need to install development kernel and then reboot:

yum install kernel-devel

See, these are the kinda workarounds that I used to have to do in Fedora, but not in Ubuntu. Then I found I didn't have to do them in Fedora, but still had to in CentOS. I'm still not convinced CentOS is a desktop system (like ubuntu, mint, fedora, mandribble are) but I'm more than happy to use it as a server.

*must* get my new boxen up and running...

Quote:See, these are the kinda workarounds that I used to have to do in Fedora, but not in Ubuntu. Then I found I didn't have to do them in Fedora, but still had to in CentOS. I'm still not convinced CentOS is a desktop system (like ubuntu, mint, fedora, mandribble are) but I'm more than happy to use it as a server.

I do agree with you and I also installed centos 6 on my latop and some things that worked on my desktopI couldn't get working on my laptop.

Strange, but maybe I didn't documented it quite right since I was up till 2:30 am playing with centos6 and I was pretty tired and my memory tends to be less when I'm tired.

But my wireless did work right out of the box with centos 6 on my laptop [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png[/img]

Quote:See, these are the kinda workarounds that I used to have to do in Fedora, but not in Ubuntu. Then I found I didn't have to do them in Fedora, but still had to in CentOS. I'm still not convinced CentOS is a desktop system (like ubuntu, mint, fedora, mandribble are) but I'm more than happy to use it as a server.

I've decided to keep CentOS 6 on my desktop because my study material is mostly based on centos and because I think it's kind of annoying to keep switching on and off between yum and apt-get. I've got everything I want working now. I'm made a virtualbox with centos 6 desktop install so I can try to get everything working there and hopefully I'll be smart enough to document it right. So I remember how I did something.

And update:

I still haven't figure out yet how I got filezilla to work on my desktop. So I decided to try to install amsn on my virtual pc. For the first time every I tried installing a package from source.

I used untarred it and followed the instructions in INSTALL file. It kept saying I needed to install this and that. I finally figured I only need to install the development version of the package

since the normal version is already installed. I managed to install amsn and I also now have it installed on my desktop. That was fun :)Now going to see if I can install filezilla from source :)

I tried installing filezilla from source on my virtualbox. Problem is you have to install about 4 packages. 3 of them you can install via yum.

The last one wxWidgets you have to install and configure from source. I did that but when trying to configure filezilla after that get an error

saying:

checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so

checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate

checking whether compiler supports -std=gnu++0x... yes

checking for whether we can include <unordered_map>... yes</unordered_map>

checking for wx-config... /usr/local/bin/wx-config

checking for wxWidgets version >= 2.8.9 (--unicode=yes --universal=no)... no

configure: error:

wxWidgets must be installed on your system

but either the wx-config script couldn't be found or

no compatible wxWidgets configuration has been insalled.

Compatible wxWidgets configurations are the unicode builds

of wxGTK, wxMac and wxMSW.

Please check that wx-config is in path, the directory

where wxWidgets libraries are installed (returned by

'wx-config --libs' command) is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or

equivalent variable and wxWidgets version is 2.8.9 or above.

[maarten@localhost compile]$ wx-config --libs

-L/usr/local/lib -pthread -lwx_x11univ_richtext-2.8 -lwx_x11univ_aui-2.8 -lwx_x11univ_xrc-2.8 -lwx_x11univ_qa-2.8 -lwx_x11univ_html-2.8 -lwx_x11univ_adv-2.8 -lwx_x11univ_core-2.8 -lwx_base_xml-2.8 -lwx_base_net-2.8 -lwx_base-2.8

Will have a look at it later.

I remember having huge problems with wxWidgets (perhaps then still called wxWindows) when I was trying to compile and install Audacity, I think for SUSE, quite a few years ago.

Not sure if I ever got it working, to be honest, so I'm not sure I can be much help. :( Just thought I'd mention that my experience is wxWidgets can be a fiddle, at least it was back then!