Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Firefox moving too fast?

There's different discussions as why some people think Firefox is moving too fast in releasing newer versions

and Firefox having reasons for becoming faster. Reasons has some of the following: A browser being the

delivery vehicle for the internet, the internet being very fast(being real time), so needing to deliver when

ready. So the web browser can be the internet interface it has to keep up with the internet. But on the

other hand web developers have a hard time keeping up because so many changes happening

that they aren't able to implement everything into web apps because of the so rapid changes.

And not to forget that users need time to get used to something new, and I know from

experience that alot of users tend to freak out when all of a sudden something has changed

which they weren't aware of. Because most users like sticking to what they are used to.

And if you want them to step over to something new you need to give them time and

an explanation they as users can understand. I do think that isn't necessary to release

a new version of a web browser every 6 weeks. Because when a web browser

makes changes in such a short time and frequently. I tend to get annoyed that I have to upgrade

again and it can start to frustrate me and make me decided to start using a different browser.

And my last point is it may be good to have a newer release of a web browser to make it

more secure but at the same time where they fix security issues in web browsers there will

always pop up other security issues in place of the ones that they fix. So it's kind of

like en endless circle. Just wondering what your opinions are on this topic?

Source1

Source2

yes i think it's going to fast, before it used to change versions very frequently ie: 3.2>3.3 and so on but now they seem to be making major jump releases in versions, first came Firefox version 4, then 5 and now 6 !! all in a few months

The version number game they are playing annoys me too. No longer is it possible to 'hang back' one major release for stability (or for add-ons that might be slower to support new versions). Firefox 5, for example, is now no longer supported at all.

Browsers do need to be kept up-to-date, of course, but having the option to avoid big changes and new features and just get the essential bug fixes is really important for computing environments where stability is more important than new features!

Quote:The version number game they are playing annoys me too. No longer is it possible to 'hang back' one major release for stability (or for add-ons that might be slower to support new versions). Firefox 5, for example, is now no longer supported at all.

Browsers do need to be kept up-to-date, of course, but having the option to avoid big changes and new features and just get the essential bug fixes is really important for computing environments where stability is more important than new features!

I agree with you. And on top firefox addons developers probably have a hard time keeping up that probably some

addons will cause firefox to crash or aren't compatible anymore.

and yesterday i saw that Firefox is already up to version 6.0.2

i use it on several computers and sometimes don't use those other computers for weeks or months and as soon as i start Firefox i have to go through the whole update cycle...

Quote:and yesterday i saw that Firefox is already up to version 6.0.2

i use it on several computers and sometimes don't use those other computers for weeks or months and as soon as i start Firefox i have to go through the whole update cycle...

I agree, so annoying when having to update everytime. I use chrome more these days. faster and don't have to update as much :P