inittux

problems reaching linux-noob

I've been having problems reaching linux-noob. It's really random. Sometimes I can just enter the website link: www.linux-noob.com or linux-noob.com and I got the website.

Other times is says the page can't be found, I then google linux-noob and I get the website and sometimes when I google it I also get: page cannot be found. I tried clearing

my cache, but I have this problem with chrome, firefox and IE and I have it when I'm in windows and when I'm running on linux and I have it when I'm at work. All other

websites seem to be loading fine. So since I have the problem at work and at home it can't be on my side. So probably on the server side? I hope you can take a look at

this? If you need anymore info just let me know smile.png I'll try and see what happens when I only use a proxy to access the website and see if it makes a difference.

can you reach other sites at the same time ? i havn't noticed any connection problems to the site, thankfully

so are you getting errors with google also ? could you be having connection issues ?

can you reach other sites at the same time ? i havn't noticed any connection problems to the site, thankfully

so are you getting errors with google also ? could you be having connection issues ?

I am able to reach other websites at the same time, but I'll I'll try it more specifically next time it happens.

But just strange that it happens from both with my home internet connection and at work too.

I've tried and visited the website today at work quite a few times and no problems. Will try again at home this evening. If still have the problem at home it must be that something on my providers side that's causing it.

no, just use the "host" or "nslookup" commands - curious to know what your machine resolves the domain name to (rather than what another website resolves it to)

no, just use the "host" or "nslookup" commands - curious to know what your machine resolves the domain name to (rather than what another website resolves it to)

At work it seems to be working fine now just at home I get this problem now.

under windows I get this:

C:\Users\Maarten>nslookup www.linux-noob.com

Server: dsldevice.lan

Address: 192.168.2.254

*** dsldevice.lan kan www.linux-noob.com niet vinden: Server failed

C:\Users\Maarten>nslookup http://linux-noob.com

*** dsldevice.lan kan http://linux-noob.com niet vinden: Non-existent domain

2nd Time under windows:

C:\Users\Maarten>nslookup www.linux-noob.com

Niet-bindend antwoord:

Naam: www.linux-noob.com

Address: 94.75.228.161

C:\Users\Maarten>nslookup http://linux-noob.com

*** dsldevice.lan kan http://linux-noob.com niet vinden: Non-existent domain

seems like the problems is with my dsldevice because 192.168.2.254 is my way to connect to my modem.

I have it setup like this. I have my ISP modem(192.168.2.254) downstairs, I pulled a network cable to my upstairs room and I connected it to my linksys router(192.168.1.1), and my router connects to my pc and laptop. Didn't have time to try it on linux last night will try to do it this evening. But will probably get about the same results since it seems like it's my dsldevice causing problems.

It could also be the (local) DNS cache - some platforms cache queries for longer, masking the smaller pool (or delayed lookup) that other devices have.

If you want to bypass those problems - particularly for this forum - then consider hard-coding our IP address into your local HOSTS file. This should speed up resolution for this site, but it also means that you've got the added burden of updating the (local) IP if the server moves.

It could also be the (local) DNS cache - some platforms cache queries for longer, masking the smaller pool (or delayed lookup) that other devices have.

If you want to bypass those problems - particularly for this forum - then consider hard-coding our IP address into your local HOSTS file. This should speed up resolution for this site, but it also means that you've got the added burden of updating the (local) IP if the server moves.

That would mean under linux under /etc/hosts right and under windows I'll be able to find it.

It's a matter how you look at it, don't find it much of a burden. Not being able to access

www.linux-noob.com is a burden :P

should be ok now the problem was two fold

1. I forgot to renew my ownership of the linux-noob.com domain

2. I didn't migrate the 4 DNS name servers after Dyndns bought out and subsequently closed down everydns.net

I have resolved both issues and as you can see we are online again

sorry !

cheers

niall

should be ok now the problem was two fold

2. I didn't migrate the 4 DNS name servers after Dyndns bought out and subsequently closed down everydns.net

I have resolved both issues and as you can see we are online again

sorry !

cheers

niall

Great that we are online again :D Thanks for the info smile.png I'll try and see this evening if my connection problems are gone.

cheers!!

Doh!

Don't you get a reminder letter or something? I get an email every two years to let me know my credit card's going to be debited to pay for my domains and that I should intervene if I don't want it to happen (auto-renewal). But that's my hoster.

Damnation. I'd have thought they would have migrated that information automatically (or at least kept the nameserver IPs CNAMEd to their DNS servers to ensure continuity).

I'm still reading 4 everydns.net servers at my end against the WHOIS record, although I don't have problems finding the site. Is that correct?

Quick update to this -- apparently the nsX.everydns.net nameservers are going away as of this Friday*, so they were periodically breaking the DNS and redirecting to another page to 'alert' us about this possibility. This could explain if anyone had anything like http://lock-everydns.dyndns.com/ come up instead of this site!

The nameserver records at the registrar have now been switched over to the new Dyn ones -- this should be reflected across the DNS everywhere in due course and everything should be back to normal again.

Thanks all for bearing with us.

* Why they can't continue to CNAME them, as you suggest, Dave, is beyond me. Very frustrating.