Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playdeb - easy game-playing for ubuntu

I've been playing around with playdeb.net, a way of downloading and installing games via a one-click method.

[Image: 149_t.png][Image: 166_t.png]

If you follow the instructions, either:
  • configure your repos and install the GPG key

• install a .DEB package containing all the repo information

... then any game on that site can be played with the "install it now" button at the bottom of each screenshot, which seems to launch a browser plugin that calls apt against a specific package.

(I'm not sure how it achieves this - although seeming easy to use, I can't find a way to apt-get any of the games normally.)

Just thought the details may be useful for any Debian/ubuntu users wanting a few games.

Looks awesome :) Will have a look at it once I got my Desktop running again. Thanks for sharing :)

Quote:(I'm not sure how it achieves this - although seeming easy to use, I can't find a way to apt-get any of the games normally.)

I presume this uses AptURL (which always sounded like an awful idea for security to me). Does investigating the link targets of the 'Install Now' buttons shed any light on what it is instructing apt to do?

One link is: "http://www.playdeb.net/install/xonotic/0.5.0-1~getdeb1" so I'm guessing you're right on that front.

It's an interesting and convenient way to install software, but as you say - could be a security nightmare (thinking of the ActiveX debacle of yesteryear).