Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting the GUI (Gnome)

I installed Cent OS 5.7-i386 server

and from the text console I start the GUI (Gnome if i understand correctly[img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/blink.png[/img] ) by typing "startx".

If this is the correct way of starting the GUI, If so I have two dumb Qs.

1 Is there a way to get it 2 start straight

into the GUI ?

2 Where the hell is the shut down or restart in the GUI?

All can find is a suspend button.

Thanks 2 all:)

Quote:I installed Cent OS 5.7-i386 server

and from the text console I start the GUI (Gnome if i understand correctly[img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/blink.png[/img] ) by typing "startx".

into the GUI ?

2 Where the hell is the shut down or restart in the GUI?

I'm not sure how to fix it that it'll start into gui, but I'll have a look around. I'm guessing that you did a server install instead of desktop

and that being the reason in boots in the commandline instead of gui. Dave or Hybrid wil be able to answer that. Think the same reason

why you don't have a shut or restart since you installed server instead of desktop. And servers aren't meant to be rebooted or shutdown.

You can still reboot/shutdown though. Just go to system tool-->Terminal and type:

1. su -

2. root password

3. init 0 (to shutdown, or I think you can also use "halt" or "shutdown") and init 6 (to reboot or you can just type "reboot")

and your system will reboot. Hope that helps :) Cheers!!

Thanks I thought that was it.

"since you installed server instead of desktop"

Thanks for your help

Quote:Thanks I thought that was it.

"since you installed server instead of desktop"

Thanks for your help

No problem :) Dave or Hybrid or Anyweb should be able to help you with the first part of your question though.

Quote:I installed Cent OS 5.7-i386 server

into the GUI ?
You need to change the default run-level from 3 to 5. This is normally (historically) done in /etc/inittab, but it may have changed with the advent of upstart and the newer startup framework.

Once in run-level 5, you'll be presented with a graphical login.

Quote:2 Where the hell is the shut down or restart in the GUI?

ISTR when you start the graphical desktop from a command prompt, you'll get an "exit" from there, but no shutdown etc - like the old days of starting Win3.11 (WFW). If you have a graphical login, shutdown buttons are available from there.

It could also be a permissions thing - normal users aren't permitted to shut down - but more GUIs I've seen have shutdown/restart/logout top-right.

Yay, Win3.11 old days:)

Thanks for your help.