Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CentOS vs SL

I went to look on the web to see what I would find as in CentOS vs SL. I find this article and I come across alot of other discussions. That SL security updates are faster and that CentOS is rumored to be a dying project.SL is used by Fermilab and CERN and therefore they got a team working on it alot.. Having searched different forums I still came across where SL and Centos are both advised and no discussions that I have mentioned above. And also have someone who advised me to switch to SL because of the same reasons. So I'm kind of confused and just wanted

to know your opinions about the matter since this is my home forum :) or say to say. And to help me think things through to decide what to do.

p.s this topic is not intended to make a distro war, just trying to understand so it can help me make a decision.

I've been very concerned about the lack of security updates to CentOS 6, since my server is running it.

It is now possible to be kept up-to-date with security updates, but you now have to enable the 'continuous release', or cr, repository. http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos...18078.html

It's causing me some concern that it feels like CentOS is beginning to become neglected, though. It's really important to me and many others running important systems.

Quote:I've been very concerned about the lack of security updates to CentOS 6, since my server is running it.

It is now possible to be kept up-to-date with security updates, but you now have to enable the 'continuous release', or cr, repository. http://lists.centos....ber/018078.html

It's causing me some concern that it feels like CentOS is beginning to become neglected, though. It's really important to me and many others running important systems.

Thanks for that. I just added that repo to my server and updated. It's updating 143MB, 192 packages. damn. So what do you think of the whole CentOS project now?

Going to test SL for server or sticking to CentOS? I'm having some trouble with my iptables which I'm testing out now on my normal desktop. In SL if you change your sshd

default port you also need to edit that same port in your iptable. I did that but it's not working. Once I get that figured out I might decide to pay for a custom install on my dedicated server.

I'm reluctant to make a change having just got CentOS 6 installed and running exactly the way I want. But this might change my upgrade plans for the future, depending on what happens between release 6 and 7.

Have you taken a look at system-config-firewall (I only have system-config-firewall-tui on my system since it's got no GUI installed!)? It's a simplistic interface for the firewall, but I've found it adequate for poking holes in the firewall for certain services.

Quote:I'm reluctant to make a change having just got CentOS 6 installed and running exactly the way I want. But this might change my upgrade plans for the future, depending on what happens between release 6 and 7.

Have you taken a look at system-config-firewall (I only have system-config-firewall-tui on my system since it's got no GUI installed!)? It's a simplistic interface for the firewall, but I've found it adequate for poking holes in the firewall for certain services.

Problem solved, continued the post here . So we can keep this topic for the current discussion :)