Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
distro hopping
In the past year or so I've used several different distro's on my desktop and now I'm currently using SL6. I'm very satisfied with it. However I've been thinking just to get a redhat subscription so I have a way of contributing to Linux. Paying for something I appreciate even though I can get it for free. Just wondering what all of you think about that?It may help me make a final decision. Cuz I've heard over the net if you don't mind paying a subscription go for Redhat, and otherwise go for SL or CentOS.

I don't have much experience with paying for commercial Linux distributions. Well, I do, but not recent experience! My first entry into the Linux world was purchasing a boxed copy of SuSE 9.0, but that was a long time ago now! [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/happy.png[/img]

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the full paid-for RHEL, if you do go in that direction. I'd consider it myself if the experience and the support were dramatically better than that which you can get from CentOS or Scientific Linux. The only thing that gets me -- I'd only be able to afford the RHEL 'desktop' version, but it would be targeted at a 'server'. I suppose it wouldn't really matter except for the name -- it wouldn't prevent you from installing Apache, for example, right?

I bought RHEL6 Desktop, I was able to get it through my work for a cheaper price. 30 euros. There's also a AS1 version and a ES1 version both 54 euros. I can't tell the difference between ES and AS though. I think ES stands for Enterprise Server and I don't know what AS stands for. I did think what you thought before about being able to install apache etc on a desktop version but I put the descriptions of desktop and ES together and they are quite different. Check

Features/Possibilites Desktop:

- Document preparation - OpenOffice.org office suite

- Extensive Microsoft interoperability

- Laptop power management - APM/ACPI

- Mail - several clients including Evolution

- Multimedia support - applications for multiple audio/video formats

- Plug-and-play device support

- RDP terminal services

- Remote desktop sharing/collaboration

- User interface - GNOME-based with optional KDE

- Web browsing - Firefox and Mozilla web browsers

- Wireless support

- X Windows system

Features/Possibilites ES:

- Databases - Leading open source databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL

- Development - Environments for C, C++, Java, Fortran with Perl, Python, CVS and Emacs

- Engineering - Computational tools including blas, pvm, and lam

- File servers - FTP, NFS, and Samba (CIFS)

- Mail server - IMAP/POP servers with Cryus, Sendmail, spamassassin

- Networking - Complete suite of network servers and firewall

- Printing - CUPS/lpr printing systems

- Security - Extensive features including SSL, IpSec, MAC/DAC

- Web server - Apache server with numerous mod/php plugins

Features/Possibilites AS:

- Databases - Leading open source databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL

- Development - Environments for C, C++, Java, Fortran with Perl, Python, CVS and Emacs

- Engineering - Computational tools including blas, pvm, and lam

- File servers - FTP, NFS, and Samba (CIFS)

- Mail server - IMAP/POP servers with Cryus, Sendmail, spamassassin

- Networking - Complete suite of network servers and firewall

- Printing - CUPS/lpr printing systems

- Security - Extensive features including SSL, IpSec, MAC/DAC

- Web server - Apache server with numerous mod/php plugins

So I hope it will be possible to do the rest too though like apache and all. That would be my logical thinking. if CentOS and SL are clones of RHEL. You can run them as a desktop and install services. Why wouldn't you be able to with RHEL Desktop. I'll find out once I install. But I'll be installing it on my desktop. Although I wasn't able to buy it from the redhat site because I don't have a credit card. Think it's a same that so many US companies only accept credit card and no paypal or other European payment methods. I hate credit cards and they are very hard to get as a European.

I'd be interested to see how you get on, and how the RHEL installer compares to CentOS/Scientific Linux (if you're allowed to share!) For example, does the anaconda installer offer the same package categories and options when you choose 'Customize now' in the relevant part of the installer? With a CentOS 6 screen, I usually select Minimal then use that customise screen to throw on many of the packages I want.

Quote:I'd be interested to see how you get on, and how the RHEL installer compares to CentOS/Scientific Linux (if you're allowed to share!) For example, does the anaconda installer offer the same package categories and options when you choose 'Customize now' in the relevant part of the installer? With a CentOS 6 screen, I usually select Minimal then use that customise screen to throw on many of the packages I want.

I really hope that it's possible. If not I would think that RHEL is still limited as in how much you pay, server or desktop.

Quote:I really hope that it's possible. If not I would think that RHEL is still limited as in how much you pay, server or desktop.

It would certainly be disappointing to pay good money for a distro and get less flexibility for it! Awaiting your reports with keen interest. :)

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="15591" data-ipsquote-username="feedmebits" data-cite="feedmebits" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1322157835" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="4218" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
I really hope that it's possible. If not I would think that RHEL is still limited as in how much you pay, server or desktop.

It would certainly be disappointing to pay good money for a distro and get less flexibility for it! Awaiting your reports with keen interest. :)

</div></blockquote>

I hope to be able to get my account/download details tomorrow. And if it's less flexible I'll be sticking with SL for both Desktop and Server.

I found a very informative post. Check it out :) Says that desktop edition can just do as much as server edition. The only difference is different levels of server support. And I would think then if you buy a desktop edition you only get support for desktop related things. I'll see how it works once I get it.