Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Jobs/employment advice

Quote:But I really want to get a job in the Linux field in maybe a

few years and I also want to take that LPI-1 exam. I just think Linux is fun, but at the same time it's annoying when getting stuck on something a long time, but then

again you learn from it.
I honestly feel your have the aptitude and energy to go for an assistant admin position, even if working in a team of sysadmins at a datacentre. You clearly display the ability to research and experiment, and are motivated and passionate about working with Linux - employers favour drive and enthusiasm over skills and knowledge (but lacking the desire to put those qualities into action).

I think you can learn a lot from others on the job - more about why things are done in a particular way, and the responsibilities of a sysadmin, rather than an enthusiast that tinkers without time pressure or any clear specifications to meet.

That sounds like my starter dream job :) Although I know some linux basics I still need to learn more. And these days it's impossible to get a job without having the right papers. But I hope to get there in a few years. I don't want to work at a helpdesk supporting windows users for the rest of my life. But if I come across a job that offers me that in that direction, I will take it :)

First-line (or service desk) can be somewhat frustrating, since many calls are often for technical training rather than technical support, and it's immensely annoying having to talk someone through complete utter fundamentals in order to solve their problem whilst you're getting blamed for their lack of knowledge and blissful ignorance.

Second or third-line should be more up your street - you'll be more involved in problem diagnosis and resolution rather than fielding calls.

Sounds like fun if I could get a job in the linux field in that direction. But for now I'll just have to continue doing projects and studying until I feel ready to take the LPI-1 exam for starters. And I don't want to get stuck with windows [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png[/img] LOL thise topic has gone way off topic. May be an idea to start a topic about linux starters jobs etc in the off topic section :)

Your wish is granted!

Just some further pointers:

1. Service desk (or "first-line" support) tends to be involved in two major activities:
  • identifying, logging, categorising and resolving incidents (or escalation if the incident can't be matched to a known error)

• request fulfilment, ie: providing a formal channel to collate and address requests (non-incidents).

This role tends to be more customer-facing than technical - they're employed for their diplomacy and interpersonal skills, ability to extract and capture relevant information. They should also be fairly thick-skinned and patient, since they'll be dealing with callers that could be angry, frustrated, impatient and ignorant. It's not for the faint-hearted.

2. 2nd/3rd-line support, sometimes given the following titles:
  • system administrators/operations

• system operations

• network mangement

• IT operations

• Infrststructure operations

These roles are concerned with two major responsibilities:
  • keeping things operational: running routine tasks to keep things ticking over and preventing outbreaks of incidents

• providing resolutions to the service desk by root cause analysis of incidents to uncover the underlying problem, then either populating the known error database with a workaround for the service desk to use, or forming a business case to deploy a permanent change that should eradicate repeat incidents.

The latter is more a job for Linuxy people.

Note that system administration in the Linux world is more about being a systems manager - it's not just about reactively fixing issues when they arise, it's also about researching and championing capabilities of Linux, taking a position on steering groups to provide input when business decisions need to be made, and formulating policy and guidance about the productive usage of Linux systems.

And finally, it's also about being realistic about timescales and things that Linux cannot do (or that would be cheaper for the company to do using Windows).

Thanks for that information. Now say I want to get a job as a junior or assistant Linux admin in 1 or 2 years. What path would be smart to go.

I was told by someone that it'd be smart to start out with LPI-1 and learning perl scripting, and then I could find a job application to do

experience and then I then could do a more expensive course ie: rhct/rhce. What is your opinion on that?

I would prefer to hire someone with enthusiasm, then experience, then qualifications (in that order).

Firstly, to get some of the more senior jobs, you need to show evidence of working in a production environment, supporting and maintaining live running servers. This demonstrates responsibility and appreciation of service delivery.

To get into some of the junior jobs, you need to demonstrate some knowledge and skills, but a willingness to learn more,either on the job (being tasked with small projects) or via a mentoring programme. If you can document what you've done and are able to mirror it in live environments, you're in with a chance.

During either of those occupations, you may get a chance to have an organisation sponsor you for examinations to show commitment and advancement prospects.

ah cool :)Too bad I don't live in the UK :P For now I'll just continue investing time in what I'm doing now and see where I'll get opportunities.

The stuff I posted up there is from my ITIL background - as far as I know, many organisations in .NL have adopted and adapted ITIL principles, so there's hope out there yet!

Have you looked at many jobsites? What's the market like?

Yeah ITIL is used here by most organisations. I haven't really looked at a job sites yet, because I was thinking more in terms of a piece of paper I would need.

And I know that most companies here all look at what pieces of paper you have, but there may be some exceptions for it. I might just search through some

job sites to see what I come across. Most of them also mention the minimum requirements of education that you need for that job.