Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oracle VM

Ok, I am kinda in over my head (I think) I have been trying to follow an out dated utorial because I cant find any up to date how-to's ....

in this tutorial I have a file called vm.cfg....it tells me a execute a command called xm create vm.cfg when I do that i get

"error: disk isnt accessible"

ima noob and i am probably not giving anough information to make n accurate guess :P

I guess my question is: Has anyone messed around with oracle vm?? I am running oracle server 3.0.3

I typed oracle, and oracle vm in the search box on the site and didnt find anything in the forums.

ok, i worked through that issue :P but im just running into problem after problem :/

I haven't played with Oracle VM at all. Is it freely available?

Is there any specific issue you're running into now? I can try and help, but it would be all new to me!

Again I'm a noob haha, but this is what I'm trying to do

Quote:[root@oraclevms hold]# dirSystem.img vm.cfg

[root@oraclevms hold]# xm create /OVS/seed_pool/hold/vm.cfg

Using config file "/OVS/seed_pool/hold/vm.cfg".

Error:
Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Could not find bridge, and none was specified

Not sure if this helps or not...?

Not sure what the bridge is the error shows, and not sure where i go to specify it at??

and yes I'm pretty sure that oracle vm is free....i went on the oracle site and downloaded the oraclevm server right from their repository.

It does help a lot -- because we have a more specific error message, which almost always points us in the right general direction. :)

I'm stabbing in the dark somewhat here, because I haven't used Oracle VM at all. (Oracle VM is apparently based on Xen, so we might also be able to find solutions to problems by looking for Xen resources/tutorials/solutions.)

My brief scouring of Google suggests that this is an error where Oracle VM can't bring up the virtual machine's network device.

Oracle VM, I believe, wants you to specify one of the network interfaces on your host computer to 'bridge' to the VM, so that both your host computer and the VM can access the network.

What are the contents of the /OVS/seed_pool/hold/vm.cfg file?

Could you also run:

Code:
# ifconfig

so we can see if you have any network interfaces ending in 'br*', which might be the bridges Oracle VM is looking for.

ok,

the contents of the vm.cfg file:

Quote:bootloader = '/usr/bin/pygrub'disk = ['file:/OVS/seed_pool/hold/System.img,xvda,w']

memory = '512'

name = 'OVM_BUILD_TEMPLATE_3.0.3'

vcpus = 1

on_crash = 'restart'

on_reboot = 'restart'

vfb = ['type=vnc,vncunused=1,vnclisten=0.0.0.0']

vif = ['type=bond0']

ifconfig:

Quote:bond0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:8B:74:3E:3D inet addr:192.168.6.128 Bcast:192.168.6.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MASTER MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:9348 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:600 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:2760437 (2.6 MiB) TX bytes:67856 (66.2 KiB)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:8B:74:3E:3D

UP BROADCAST RUNNING SLAVE MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:9348 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:600 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:2760437 (2.6 MiB) TX bytes:67856 (66.2 KiB)

Interrupt:16 Memory:f8000000-f8012800

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:46 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:46 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:6670 (6.5 KiB) TX bytes:6670 (6.5 KiB)
ok I got that sorted out by editing /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp and adding in network-bridge

Quote:ok I got that sorted out by editing /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp and adding in network-bridge

What version of Orcle VM are you running? Also is this your only machine? ESXI I think is a better all around VM choice if you have a second machine to manage it remotly. virtual box has some limitations when it comes to video.