joe0121

Having issues dual booting

My system has two 60gig SSD's (among others) I would like to install windows on one and Mint 13 on the other. The windows install needs to be a dynamic disk. I would like the Linux drive to be the first drive in the boot order in the BIOS. (UFI bios in this case). Not sure how to acomplish this. i have mint installed and I installed windows on the second drive but I dont know how to get the linux bootloader see the windows drive. I have complete backups so if It is easier to blow away my installations I will do it. Windows will only get used for Labsim app I need for school and online banking apps so I can scan and deposit checks. I would just use a VM but my wife doesnt like it and I need this to be as transparent to my end user (wife) as possible the dual boot setup will acomplish this.

• Like 4

Mmmm.. I don't know if mint uses GRUB2, but I thought other images are detected automatically.

Mmmm.. I don't know if mint uses GRUB2, but I thought other images are detected automatically.

I dont have the machine in front of me. But I think it uses Grub 2. I will try loading the windows installation than running the Mint install and tell it to install along side windows on the second SSD. I dont want to raid them so one hard drive failure takes out both of my OS's

UEFI bios seems to be more of a pita than it's worth.

What you're trying to achieve should be possible - just that when you install Mint to the second drive, it needs to write GRUB2 to the first (bootable) drive which contains Windows, the idea being that GRUB is Windows-aware but Windows is Linux-denial.

Booting from the first disk will hit GRUB2 which offers Linux/Windows:

• if Linux is selected then it hops to /boot on the second disk
  • if Windows is selected then procesing is directed to the kernel on the first disk (ntldr, io.sys etc)

I think that's how it works - I did this several years back with older GRUB and had to manually tweak my GRUB to chainload (then directload) Windows. I understood GRUB2 should automatically detect and display other OSes with the 40_* script.

Perhaps you may need to re-run "grub-install" to update entries (which I thought wasn't required any longer).

Perhaps you may need to re-run "grub-install" to update entries (which I thought wasn't required any longer).

It may be update-grub that you need to run -- you don't need to 'install' the GRUB2 code again, just force the configuration to be rebuilt from the /etc/grub.d scripts that generate it (the 10_, 20_, 30_, 40_ stuff)...

It may be update-grub that you need to run

Gahhh.. that's the fellah!