Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
has gnome finally relinquished ?

I did an update today on my fedora 16 laptop and after a reboot i noticed that Gnome is not looking like it has since well.. since they changed to the new format. It's actually refreshing to see that it's usable again, i can minimize windows and so forth...

so does this mean that Gnome is listening to people or is it just a quirk in the update i got ?

see screenshot..

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2012/post-1-0-44585300-1341095362.png" data-fileid="1375">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_06_2012/post-1-0-44585300-1341095362_thumb.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot at 2012-07-01 00:28:49.png (Size: 721.83 KB / Downloads: 0)

I haven't used gnome 3 in a while but what I do know from gnome 3 is that it's not supposed to look like that. looks more like gnome 3 went into the fallback mode.

You could try using the following to switch normal back mode back on. Just an idea, I may be wrong.

http://www.dedoimedo...3-fallback.html

http://www.unixmen.c...3-on-fedora-15/

Let us know if you were able to turn gnome 3 back to normal by trying the reverse of the the above. If not, there may be a a video driver issue after having updated.

Cause I know when the video card or driver is not compatible with gnome 3, it goes back into fallback mode which looks more like classic gnome. Which looks like

the screenshot you have posted above.

thing is, i dont want to switch back, not right now, so i'll leave it the way it is and see what happens
ok, let us know how it goes anyways when leaving it like that :)
well i rebooted and it was back but at the login screen i can now choose either classic or the new gnome, at the moment i'm using classic. perhaps this is an update ?
I wonder if this is something to do with 3D acceleration/Compiz? Is it that you're being presented with Classic because the 3D features aren't working, I wonder?

yeah i wonder too as i cannot re-enable the 3d/compiz whatever now whatever i try, i think some update killed it and i'm forced to use the classic interface

just noticed my audio button has disappeared from the systray and in accessories/advanced settings no Shell is listed (everything else is set to default)

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_07_2012/post-1-0-40921100-1342949007.png" data-fileid="1377">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_07_2012/post-1-0-40921100-1342949007_thumb.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot at 2012-07-22 11:22:08.png (Size: 655.38 KB / Downloads: 0)

and today it's back again along with the audio icon, weird... but now they menu's are also visible on all windows, annoying !!

i'm seriously considering formatting this and moving to CentOS with good old fashioned gnome.

I have no idea, and have no solution for you. I never really like the every 6 months release distro's that much. I always found the distros like debian, centos, and ubuntu LTS more stable, and also since they don't use. Gnome3. The newest ubuntu 12.04 LTS use unity though. Linux Mint Debian Edition runs good too. It uses cinnamon as interface, haven't had any weird problems with that yet. And I know you prefer rpm distro's so I'd just install CentOS if it bothers you. Unless Dungeon-Dave or Hybrid have any other ideas. That's just my opinion [img]<___base_url___>//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png[/img] Otherwise you could check the fedora forums if they have any idea, I did a google search and didn't come up with much and it said that compiz doesn't work with gnome3. Only thing I found was this:

yes, you will have to build the nvidia kernel module EVERY time you update your kernel.

which lead to this

So when you first started the post it looked like it went into fallback mode, this is because the videocard is not supported or the videodrivers not being installed. So looking at the posts I found, I would guess that you did a kernel update. After reboot it went into fallback mode cause it couldn't find the nvidia drivers, which means you would probably have to rebuild the nvidia kernel module. But I don't know what video card you have in your system? So I could be totally wrong. Just a logical guess which sounds like it could be accurate. Cheers!

except this computer is a latitude D430 with intel onboard video, no nvidia drivers, could it be a similar issue then ?