Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to get myubuntu 12.04 installed
I have emachine with mediacenter(scratch xp) t5216 I believe ram 512; HD 160 not sure about the video or sound card. Is ubuntu right for my machine or puppy? I tried scientific linux and I went back to ubuntu juanty jakalope unsupported, crazy I know but, I am writing this post with it guess it still has a little uses (stupid updates that don't update) oh well.Help please!!!

I know someone who has puppy running as a lightwight distro on their laptop or raspbeery pi. Don't have any experience with puppy myself. I have debian sqeeze running on my own netbook but my specs are a bit higher but debian squeeze should run on your emachine.

You could also try running ubuntu 10.04 LTS, supported until April 2013 I think.

Quote:The minimum memory requirement for Ubuntu 12.04 is 384 MB of memory for Ubuntu Desktop. Note that some of your system's memory may be unavailable due to being used by the graphics card. If your computer has only the minimum amount of memory, the installation process will take longer than normal; however, it will complete successfully, and the system will perform adequately once installed.

What kind of videocard do you have? there are linux drivers available from ati radeon and nvidia site

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us

http://support.amd.c...ages/index.aspx

or there's also nouveau drivers under ubuntu.

I've had scientific linux installed as desktop and been able to get my videocard drivers work without any problems. So basically it's a matter of what you prefer. So pick which distro you want to be running on your emachine. Check the hardware requirements first and then if you run into any problems just post on the forums. And welcome to the forums btw :)

Ubuntu could be a bit heavyweight - look up something like kbuntu or xbuntu, I believe they're lighter-weight.

or you can use linux mint

puppy linux is in the top of lightweight distros though, or SliTaz or damn small linux.

I think Ubuntu would probably run OK on that hardware. It likely won't be fast, though, so it depends whether you want the familiarity and packages that come with Ubuntu, or something that will perform better.

As Dave has suggested, Xubuntu might be a good option for combining Ubuntu and a little bit of the lightweight factor!