Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just installed.... Need help!!

So I've got my new installation of RH 9 next to my XP installation, I notice from the off that everything is not as plain and simple as Windows.

My BT Voyager USB ADSL modem doesn't just switch on in linux.... so I looked it up in google and got some instructions of how to configure the drivers but I have not got a clue what to do.

How to set up BT Voyager USB ADSL modem!!

That's the page I got the info.....

If you have a moment please can u visit the link and let me know in English what I should do next.

I downloaded the following files as instructed by the info:

eciadsl-usermode-0.8-1.src.rpm

eciadsl-usermode-0.8-1.i386.rpm

Please help, thanks.

Those instructions appear to be the manual way to change things based on the old driver (0.5 as it says).

The files you downloaded appear to be version 0.8 --apparently newer, and probably automated as opposed to all those directions on the web site. Since it's an rpm, you can either double-click it in gui or install it in terminal with the code

Code:
rpm -i ./eciadsl-usermode-0.8-1.i386.rpm

(You'll have to login as root first, and change the directory specification to the directory you put the file in. Console command for root is "su" and directory change works like dos's "dir" and "cd".)

I hope this works for you.

<span style="color:#0000FF;">Thanks Lem. I eventually got linux to recognise my modem and I think it is connecting however when I start up Mozilla and try and go to a site It does nothing.
</span>

<span style="color:#0000FF;"> 
</span>

<span style="color:#0000FF;">I have tried setting up my internet connection with the wizard but I don't really know if I am doing it right. Question.. Does the "network adapter" mean Modem or is it referring to something else.
</span>

</span>

</span>:(

im almost certain it refers to your ethernet card. if you're getting internet through cable, dsl, or a network, that's what youll be using.

I am at a total loss now. I know I am connected to by ISP because I can Ping the IP. I can still not use Mozilla. So I took some advice and turned off my firewall using

#service iptables stop.

Then tried again to no avail.

The only error message I get during startmodem is at the end it says something like

default route to ppp0 already exists

I have no idea what this means I suppose it is to do with pppd. Other than that everything seems to be going fine.

cat /etc/resolv.conf make sure you have entries for nameserver