Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My situation

Materials:

XP machine

Red Hat machine

1900 catalyst switch

Cable modem (motorola box) through RR

XP machine and RH machine are hooked to the switch, blinking lights, eveything. XP can get onto the internet just fine. It has the static IP addressing of the cable modem supplied to us. (ipconfig shows this) I have the RH machine into the siwtch. I do NOT have xwindows on this machine. (I do, but I dont run it). My eth0 is up and running and I can ping my looback addy to verify the card is working.

I ran the redhat-config-network and put eth0 for the name and for device and selected DHCP.

Can someone help me, to get the linux machine running, and onto the internet like the XP machine?? Even if it means making the RH machine a proxy and the XP has to go through the linux machine.

Sharing drives between the rh machine and xp machine would be nice too. Can anyone PLEASe help??

can you swap the network card from the XP box to the linux box? I ask this because your cable company uses the MAC of the nic to auth you on their network. If it is pci and you can swap it, you can easily setup the linux box as the cable gateway/firewall/router.

ah, very good.

If that were so... what would have to do to the linux machine after the swap?

edit: Now that I think about it. I dont think they do. They only use the MAC address of the cable modem. Because that would be to harsh, what if your NIC went bad or something? I don't think they do it.

I know for a fact that comcast and att.bi did it. I had to do what I suggested to you, to get my network up and running on my linux gateway/firewall.

What are the steps for gateway/firewall/router ??

Thanks.

swap the network card out with your linux box and use dhcp to get an ip. Take a look at my firewall script [/url][url=http://grep420.net/coonass.fw]http://grep420.net/coonass.fw

If you set up the linux PC as the router/gateway/firewall and the outside cable connection is connecting to the PC then I assume there is a 2nd NIC that either conencts tot he Sw or the other PC? I got lost in the discussion

-

as trivia, RR in my areas issues a cable modem during their setup and inturn uses that mac address as a means of identfying the customer. Thus for any reason , which has happened several time do to NIC failures and computer HW changes, nothing network wise is compromised from their standpoint.......:)

-

I know this thread is a few days old, but I'm all ears and try'n to learn

you'd need a second nic yes

read this nat howto here

cheers

anyweb