Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a linux only network

Hi!

I have been a windows user for many years. I even have a windows server in my house. I have even dabbled in linux also. What I have been trying to do is switch from windows to linux completely. Meaning no windows at all. I am looking to create a linux server that will offer the same functionality of a windows server but without the windows. I want to use this server for authentication, file & print services. Using only the linux components and I don't want to use samba! I will use what ever management tools there are in linux console, graphical that can be used to manage the server.

I just want away from windows and microsoft!!!

The goals are

1. Authentication

2. user management

3. limiting access to files and directories

4. sharing printers on the network.

Can this be done by linux or should I just stick with windows?

My distro of choice is Oracle linux but can use centos if I have to.

Yes this is possible with linux, what do you want to use authentication for, you mean like having users kept in  central place. LDAP could be used for this. That would cover your Authentication and user management.  Limiting access to files is also possible by putting users in groups or bij using ACLs together with either NFS or Samba, and with samba you can configure using network printers with cups.  Does that answer your question?

Quote:<div>
Hi!

I have been a windows user for many years. I even have a windows server in my house. I have even dabbled in linux also. What I have been trying to do is switch from windows to linux completely. Meaning no windows at all. I am looking to create a linux server that will offer the same functionality of a windows server but without the windows. I want to use this server for authentication, file & print services. Using only the linux components and I don't want to use samba! I will use what ever management tools there are in linux console, graphical that can be used to manage the server.

I just want away from windows and microsoft!!!

The goals are

1. Authentication

2. user management

3. limiting access to files and directories

4. sharing printers on the network.

Can this be done by linux or should I just stick with windows?

My distro of choice is Oracle linux but can use centos if I have to.

</div>