Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can see Samba share from external hard drive, but cannot copy files/create folders/etc

I am running Ubuntu 18.04. I'm new to Linux, but I'm pretty good at reading various guides. Unfortunately, I've tried so many solutions to this problem that I'm not even sure where I am in solving the issue at this point. I have successfully setup a Samba share on my Ubuntu machine, but when I open the folder on my Mac, I cannot do anything other than see the folders and open the files. Trying to do otherwise results in an "Operation not permitted" error on OSX. I know this must be a permissions issue, but I have attempted changing ownership and permissions to wide open in an effort to force the ability to add files to the external hard drive on the Ubuntu machine from my MacBook, and I'm having no luck.

Like I said...I'm new to Linux, so I don't even know where to begin regarding logs, etc. Any guidance--even if it's "completely remove Samba and start over"--would be appreciated. Please bear with me, as I've explained the issue as much as I currently know how to explain it.