Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with Putty
Hi all Linux Guru's and Newbies!! I really need some help with Putty so i can remote acces my linux PC from any Windows PC. How can i open/install/activate that service??? o_O

you need to enable ssh. go to redhat menu -> System Settings -> server settings -> services

look for sshd. and start that services. so you should be able to connect the ssh via putty.

remeber allow port 23 for ssh.

in command (console) i don't know how to start the services in console.

so hope this help ya

I use Mandrake linux :S
Yike. i dunno nothing about mandrake :( sorry. maybe other people do.

ssh is port 22. 23 is telnet

as for mandrake.. I think it has the same type init as redhat so you should be able to open a console window and type

service sshd start

If you are not able to use service you can: /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start

Once you start that service does it become automatic upon reboots? sry, I'm a n00b at this.......

-

and is Putty better/easier than XWin (xfree86.cygwin.com)? as of today I began cfg XWin on my win XP PC, but haven't got it working yet, to connect it to my Red Hat 9 PC (and install WINE to go the other way)

in redhat-config-services you can tell what service starts automatically on bootup

use putty to access a shell (console/terminal) on a linux box from windows :)

use VNC to access the GUI on a linux box from windows,

vnc is included with redhat 8/9/fedora, just goto the package manager and check server tools, install it if it isnt installed and then type

vncserver in a console to start it and set a password

cheers

anyweb

Okay..... my head is spewing a little smoke with your reply, however I am aware of the pgms you mentioned, just haven't ever used them ........ guess I'lll be do'n a little reading & cfg on them this week during my free time.

-

Thx for the help AnyWeb