Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
exe files

So I finally decided to switch back to my xp harddrive and battle the viruses. I cleaned them up thanks to www.trendmirco.com but they've left a little damage. Exe files wont run anymore without circumventing some things...

Double-clicking an exe file, using a shortcut to it, or attempting to run it from the run dialogue gives an error "Windows cannot find '[file]'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

However, I can get around this by right-clicking it, using "run as" and using any setting in there.

I have no idea whats up with that, I'll probably end up reformatting it anyway, but I'd like to fix it first--it would save me the trouble of trying to burn a xp copy and install it under a seperate partition on my good (linux) hardrive. Any tips here would be appreciated.

I have an idea.

Could someone who's running xp look in the registry and tell me the entries for the following folders:

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Classes > .exe

HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Classes > .exe > PersistantHandler

Uh... I don't have a "persistanthandle" I think that might be your problem.

Regardless, go into "File Explorer" and Tools>Folder options>File Types> and make sure you don't have .exe as registered. Check that and I would delete persistanthandle.

.exe

(Default) REG_SZ exefile

Content Type REG_SZ application/x-msdownload

.exe/PersistentHandler

(Default) REG_SZ {098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

that's what i have

btw, it kinda repaired itself after awhile. since then, though, i caught sasser and reformatted with rh9.. and here i am again.