Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want full access!!
How do I grant myelf full access to the system without actually logging in as root??

root is full access,

what exactly are you looking for

cheers

anyweb

i want another login name for myself (ie my name) and still have full root access. is this possible??

Thanks

its possible by adding your name to the group 'root'

however, don't do it, it's NOT recommended at all.

think Security amongst other things, once the system is configured correctly you wont have to enter the root password too often,

please do things the right way, and only login as root when you have to

otherwise, you'll regret is someday

cheers

anyweb

i decided to always log in as root, this way i can continue to learn linux from the top level.

is this is a bad idea??

as i different login i was unable to do certian things suvh as move files and create links and such things.

I want to be the god of my system, and the only way i can see of doing that is by being the root.

yes that is very bad. running as the super user is the reason that windows is full of worms and virii.

If you want root access you get it by either doing su - or setting yourself as the user that can use sudo

Can someone guide me through how to do this simply please??

I am runnung fedora core 1 with Gnome.

Thanks again.

This is all very new and quite difficult from a windows boffin like myself.

And i thought I knew about computers!! Ha!

[img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png[/img]

read this su - login guide

and please dont login as root into X (gnome)

instead, login as a normal user, and open a terminal (click the redhat/system tools/terminal) and in the terminal type

Code:
su -

that will prompt you for roots password

once entered you have root access in that terminal and can do lots of things as root including add/remove packages/burn cds/and a whole lot more

cheers

anyweb

Thanks anyweb as always your a great help.

I want the apt-get package but as yet have not managed to connect to the ionternet using my BT Voyager 100 and AOL Broadband account, so at the moment its not going to happen.

I have a laptop with windows XP and an internet connection. If i network these machines will I have access to the internet that way??

If so would you know how to go about doing this??

Thanks yet again in advance!!

why not login to X as root?