Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is for total linux noobs

ok so ya just downloaded linux cuz you heard all the cool kidz are doin it(hehe), but now youve got this hulking power box that u have no idea how to use. Here's a few trick i picked up so far:

1: apt-get : for the true noober this thing is amazing. it helps keep all your killer apps and progs up to date, and make installing new ones alot easier. download the version thats right for your flavor of linux.

2: man pages are your best friend. anytime you see a command here at linux-noob or anywhere else for that matter, type man X where X is the command. This brings up the built in help files for 90% of commands. even if you think you know what something does like ls , check the man pages anyway. they will tell you about options u may not have even thought about.

3: I have found one of the best way to learn in linux is to do. but sometimes doing can really screw stuff up. the solution? make a directory of dummy files and start playing. something like this:

Code:
mkdir /home/youridnamehere/dummyfilez
cd /home/youridnamehere/dummyfilez
vi dummy
i
blah blah add lots of junk text blah blah
esc
:
wq
cp dummy /home/youridnamehere/dummy2
cp dummy /home/youridnamehere/dummy3
cp dummy /home/youridnamehere/dummy4
cp dummy /home/youridnamehere/dummy5

now you have a bunch of filez you can play with and not worry about screwing up anything to major.

I hope this helps, sometimes a little guidance is all it takes for a noober like us to get started makin magic.

have fun,

tek