Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
installation of fedora, newbie

Hi all.

First time here at the forums here. I like what I see.

Here's my story, I have always used Windows, Im pretty comfortable with it. However I have 3 pc's at my home, and have decided that I want to see what all the linux fuss is about. I like everything I have read about it so far, the info seems endless!! Anyhow, I have a PIII, 700 mhz, 256MB Ram, 20GB HD, sony vaio that is just sitting around, and would like to experiment with Fedora on it. My download is in progress now, bout an hour left till i burn ISO to disc.

Currently, I have Windows Xp on the sony, when I install Fedora will I have the option to totally reformat my hard drive? I dont want to run both OS on it.

ALso , did I make the right choice in Fedora? I wanted to get one of the major players so to speak, and thought RedHat, would only make sense.

Any advice would be greatly helpful, this is a totally new experience for me!!

Thanks all.

hi and welcome to the forums

which version of fedora are you downloading ? fedora core release 2 is out now :)

and yes fedora can wipe any existing operating system during the automated installation if you tell it to

check out these install screenshots and you'll see what i mean

please also make sure to read the README notes on the CD or DVD ****before**** you install Fedora, because I recall reading about some 'issues' with Sony Vaio laptops

cheers

anyweb

you made a wise choice CD! fedora, in my opinion, is the BEST choice for beginners and experts alike. i am also pretty new to linux and to this site. the fedora install is really easy, and you can be up and running in around an hour, depending on what you install.

note: i wouldn't do the full install with all the bells and whistles, especially apache, php, and mysql. its best to install those yourself. plus it will get you familiar with working with the os.

Quote:note: i wouldn't do the full install with all the bells and whistles, especially apache, php, and mysql. its best to install those yourself. plus it will get you familiar with working with the os.

actually i WOULD do the install as follows (especially for noobs) i'll explain why in a minute...

when installing choose CUSTOM and scroll down to EVERYTHING

that will install everything !

the reason why this is good for noobs, is because when they are trying to install something via rpm or source (which they will do eventually) they are FAR less likely to have dependancy errors

mysql/apache and so on can be removed with ease later via the add remove applications icon in system settings

and of course, once you get confident with linux, you can compile these packages by following a howto right here on this site [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=611][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=611]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=611

cheers

anyweb