Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi I'm OVERKILL

My name is Chris, I'm 24 and from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, but spent many years living in Fredericton New Brunswick, where I took some CS at UNB before I took Network Engineering.

I am a Network Enginner and currently administer four Windows 2000 Servers, 15 Linux routers/firewalls and 5 VPN's that host about 200 client computers.

I have played with basically every OS under the sun, all MS-DOS variants, Windows 3.x, 9x, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, Win2K, WinXP, Windows 2003, BeOS, QNX RTP, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, DEC Unix, IRIX, as well as a pile of Linux distro's from the original Slackware iteration in or around 1993-94 as well as every version of RedHat from 5.x up, Mandrake, Suse, Fedora, YellowDog, Knoppix, Lindows...etc.

I've been working on computers since 1988 when I had a Commodore and then quickly migrated to a Hewitt Rand 8088 with 640K of RAM, Hercules Monochrome graphics and a 30MB Hard Drive. From there I had a 286, 386, 486SX/25, 486 SX/25 TI Notebook, Mac Plus, PowerMac, PII 266, and so on until now.

I love hardware and collecting it, but I've found lots of people have managed to "score" a much broader collection of stuff than what I currently have. I love older SCSI stuff and have a beastly 7-disk Ultra160 RAID5 array running on a Compaq SMARTRAID Controller that I scored, that's my DNS server and dump FTP for when I'm reloading this box.

My current Linux machine (this one) is a P4 2.8C running on an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe with 1GB of PC3200, 240GB of Hard Drive space with an archaic Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS Pro video card, SBLive 5.1, 3COM 3C905C NIC and ATI TV Tuner Card. I have a 21" Sony Trinitron Monitor and a good 'ol Plextor 48x24x48 CD-RW.

My internet connection consists of a hacked Alcatel Speed Touch Home, which is now a Speed Touch Pro and running at about 4.3Mbit, not bad for DSL.

My hobbies obviously include computers, but also working on cars like my '87 Mustang GT as well as making an ass out of myself on IRC.

In my free time I like to spend time with my wife Christa and our 5 month old son, Patrick.

Its good to meet all of you.

excellent intro Overkill,

nice to see you are into the same stuff as me more or less :)

welcome to lthe forums dude

cheers

niall

(yeah thats my real name)