Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
burning FC2-i386-disc1-3.iso to cd

Hey all,

I dowloaded fedora core 2 iso files, and i tried to burn them to cd using mkisofs -R -o fedora-disc1.cd then using cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=1,0,0 -data /path/to/fedora-disc1.cd. they all burned fine, but i tried to install fedora by rebooting my box with the cd in the drive thinking it would automatically start the fedora install.

Needless to say i was wrong - install didn't start at boot up.. What did i do wrong? is there a way to install fedora from the iso files that are on my hard drive while i have rh9 booted and running? Can install fedora from the command line at boot up, and if so can you point me to some instructions how. Or, can you suggestion an easy solution.

I'm running RH9 now, and would like to update to fedora2, so any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

John

Are you sure your boot order in your BIOS is correct (CD-ROM before HDD)? When you mount the CD, do you see the .iso file or its contents (some files and directories) on there? You can do a harddisk install, more information can be found here. You just have to create a bootdisk.

z0ny

i see the .iso file when the CD is mounted. i'm going to try burning the iso file without the mkisofs step, but i wont be able to try until i get off work. hopefully this will work.

the bios is set to boot from CD first then HD, but it doesn't seem to be working. i have a feeling i didn't burn the CD correctly.

thanks for the help,

john

UPDATE:

i did it!!! woo hoo! i'm running fedora 2 yay!! i just finished the install this morning, and now i have to leave for work :( i'll have to wait until tonight to play around some more.

where did you get your fedora and did it work fully through install. I am having problem with missing files and stuff. Especially with the x windows files. Where can i get a good copy.

Fedora can be downloaded from any of the mirrors over here. Make sure to verify the md5sums before burning to make sure the files aren't corrupt. There are also md5sum tools for Windows, ask Google on that.

z0ny