Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I installed Fedora 2 and now i have no sound

This is odd. My soundcard is detected when i run the soundcard detector, but I get no sound. There is a speaker in my panel that seems to control the sound, but i'm unable to increase the volume. As soon as i do the level goes back down to zero. I tried running aumix, but i get

Code:
davalos# aumix
aumix:  error opening mixer

Then i tried opening the volume control from the main menu and i get

Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found.

I'm not sure what it could be, but if anyone else has experienced this i'd appreciate them sharing their solution. In the meantime i'm going to try and reinstall aumix to see if that does anything for me.

Thanks,

john

Do you hear the test sound? Did you try kmix? Does it work when you "echo anywavsound.wav >/dev/dsp"?

z0ny

hey zony, yeah i tried that. but i get

bash: /dev/dsp: No such device

this is odd. i don't understand what happened. i had sound on RH9, and now i don't. i'll have to do some more research to see if i can remedy this problem. maybe my soundcard isn't supported? however, i don't think that's the issue because the soundcard-detection found my card.

any ideas?

john

What soundcard is it? Does your hardware vendor offer a specific linux driver? Did you load the apropriate module (have a look at "lsmod")? I guess kernel support for sound is not in question as you use the FC2 standard kernel? Does "cat /dev/sndstat" and "cat /proc/sound" return anything?

z0ny

yah, i had sound in Fedora Core 1, but now i don't. I cant get the Soundcard Detection to work at all!!