Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with winXp pro

Hello guys i have to os in my computer. win98se and winxp pro.I want to reinstall

win98se coz it is all messed up.But if i do that i will also make winxp go which i do not wish to do.Is there any way out?

hm, not sure I am following you. I assume that u have win98se and XP Pro on two different partitions? Then it shouldnt be any problems. If u reinstall it would only affect one partition, leaving XP alone. If not, I suggest u make another partition to install win98se on.

i have win98se and winxppro in different partitions.but the MBR(Master boot record)is same for both of them.So if i reinstall win98se it will also remove the winxppro entry from the MBR(it will not give me the os selection page insted it will load win98se directly).

Hope u understand now.

After you reinstalled Win98 boot into WinXP rescue mode (with a bootdisk or something) and run "fdisk /mbr". That will reinstall WinXP's boot manager into the MBR. You can add the Win98 entries afterwards. Or you use the boot manager of Win98 if that is possible for you.

z0ny

Thx a lot zony.It worked.