Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats up with eth0?

Hello all,

Well, I am fumbling through my new Fedora c2 setup (first time on Linux) and last night I managed to get on line with my DSL. I set up a new DSL connection, activated it and was good to go. Now this "new" connection appears under my eth0 object so logic dictates that I should have activated my eth0 to get on line but it wont activate. I launched a browser to try to generate an error to work up from by VIOLA! I was on line. But that still doesn't answer the question as to why eth0 wont activate. Am I interpreting "activation" out of context? I am likening it to having a NIC card on my 2K system defined as "disabled" which if that was the case I would not be able to use it to connect to a network/internet.

After being an Admin for Windows networks for years, this Linux stuff is REALLY refreshing.

If you could recommend one book on learning Linux/Fedora, which would you recommend?

as root do this

Code:
ifconfig

it should give you the information for your network adaptors

paste the output here

cheers

anyweb

Here it is, when I try to activate it it returns an error of "Cannot determine IP address" and wont activate....But here I am on line? Just trying to understand.

Thanks,

[root@localhost root]# ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:06:5B:BA:4D:44

inet6 addr: fe80::206:5bff:feba:4d44/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:466 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:502 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:414420 (404.7 Kb) TX bytes:74241 (72.5 Kb)

Interrupt:11 Base address:0xec80

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:5129 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:5129 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:5404685 (5.1 Mb) TX bytes:5404685 (5.1 Mb)

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol

inet addr:68.121.247.234 P-t-P:151.164.184.5 Mask:255.255.255.255

UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1

RX packets:450 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:470 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:3

RX bytes:403492 (394.0 Kb) TX bytes:58459 (57.0 Kb)

Also at boot up, it fails to start eth0...Hangs for a while trying to do so then fails at "Unabel to determine IP address". Would you recommend that I disable so Boot does't try to load it? If so where would that be?

Thanks in advance :)

hey Im not a linux expert, but I believe you dont need eth0 to be activated since youre connected via ppp0. Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and change this line:

Code:
ONBOOT=yes

to

Code:
ONBOOT=no

It's pretty much similar to Windows when using DSL or something similar. You can assign an IP address to the interface connected to the modem or not. That doesn't really matter. If the device was disabled (just like disabled on Windows) it wouldn't appear on 'ifconfig' and you couldn't dialup. So don't add "ONBOOT=no" but add an IP address instead (you could use 'redhat-config-network' or 'setup' to do so).

But anyways the device isn't being used directly - as you are "dialing" in the PPPd is used to establish the PPPoE connection. And that daemon creates an own device to handle its IP address and routing - ppp0. So nothing to worry at all. :P

z0ny

Yeah, disable on boot killed my DSL. I assaigned it a static 192.168.x.x IP and it came up fine on boot BUT my SBC PPP connection failed to fire up on boot. wierd huh. Oh well, I'll keep goofin with it. It;s not hurting anything and playing around with it helps with the learning :)

Thanks guys.

strange because I use a pppoe connection for my dsl and eth0 doesnt need to be activated although its the only network card on my sys.

Yeah, I can get on line. Its just at boot up it lags as its trying to acquire an IP for eth0. I guess since there are no DHCP servers to acquire from it bombs out, then it sends out its DSL request with the log on params and it acquires successfully. So its active in one sense and not in another.

I wonder if I should report this to bugzilla? If I assign eth0 a static IP it fires up fine at boot but the DSL connection bombs and I have to manually activate it. Then at the point, both objects are activated even though they are truly one.