Linux-Noob Forums

Full Version: Sick to death of windows! Grrrr *tears hair out*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Ok, tonight has been the last straw and I want to ditch windows for good! Enough is enough :)

I want to use linux but I haven't got a clue where to start. I would say that I'm a intermediate PC user. The only problem that I fear, is that I won't be able to get some of my appz to work on linux :(

I want to be able to run..

Turbo Lister (eBay)

Firefox

Dreamweaver

Adobe Photoshop CS

Flash FTP (Or a similar FTP program, not fussed)

Thunderbird (again not fussed, any good'un will do)

Limewire (Possibly)

Frontpage (or a similar simple html editor)

MSN

Winamp

Daemon Tools

And I want it to run without hitting loadsa bugs. I heard somewhere that you don't actually need virus protection with linux? don't know how true that is like o_O

Where do I need to start then? Any help would be very much appreciated! Mwah! ;):)

- Mizzy

Welcome to the forums! :)

Lets see now..

Firefox

- has a Linux version

Thunderbird

- has a Linux version

Dreamweaver

- Has "silver" support under cxoffice

- Linux alternative, maybe Nvu

Limewire

- Linux alternative, GTK-Gnutella (connects to the same P2P network)

ICQ / MSN / AIM

- Linux alternative, Gaim handles all of these.

Winamp

- Linux alternative, amaroK or xmms

Daemon Tools (windows!)

- Well for ISO's you can use something called a "loopback", if you want to play cue/bin/svcd you can do that with mplayer. There is also CDEmu.

FlashFXP

- I believe that older versions run well under wine?

- Linux alternatives, OH wow.. tonnes :)but KftpGrabber and Kasablanca do have claims are "flashfxp clones" .. so?

Frontpage (or a similar simple html editor)

- Linux alternative, possible Bluefish?

Adobe Photoshop CS

- Hrmm, unfortunately this is know not to work under cxoffice :( However Photoshop6/7 do?

- Linux alternative, GIMP .. once you get use to the difference you will see it is just as powerful.

And lastly..

Turbo Lister (eBay)

Never having used eBay for anything other than laughing at the stupid stuff people sell/buy I didn't really know what the hell this utility was.. however I discovered this over on the gentoo forums and they actually got eBay chatting on the forum too!

Anyway.. reading through this, it starts as lots of people thinking its a great idea and then it slows .. and slows until it doesn't go anywhere :( Maybe it will yet. However it suggests some utilities along the way:

[/url][url=http://www.dropline.net/archive/jade.php]http://www.dropline.net/archive/jade.php - Jade so .. maybe?

Quote:And I want it to run without hitting loadsa bugs.
Everything has bugs, be it Windows or Linux, you will encounter them. 

Quote:I heard somewhere that you don't actually need virus protection with linux? don't know how true that is like o_O

It is true/false at the same time :)There are not that many Linux viruses out there at this moment and Windows is still the largest target for viruses today. There are other reasons why a Linux virus wouldn't do the same sort of damage that a Windows one would and that is that most Linux users run as a USER, not as root/admin like they do under Windows. This means that when a virus runs, it can't do any damage to the system but instead only to the users files. However damaging your personal files is really the only thing you actually care about probably, so running an av solution is a good idea. Also if you share files back and forth between Windows and Linux you could be transfering viruses without knowing it.

So .. no you don't need an AV solution, as Linux is rather secure when it comes to these things.

Yes you should run an AV solution, as it is good to ensure that you don't get bitten by a "what if" situation.

Quote:Where do I need to start then? Any help would be very much appreciated! Mwah! ;):)

You have already made the starting to work out what you want from Linux. This is half the battle. I would suggest that you now look into which distribution you wish to use. Here we normally suggest Fedora or Ubuntu for new users, both of these are easy to install and are solid (i.e. don't fall over at the slightest breath).

PHEW .. oh did I say WELCOME :)

Wow, thank you for you comprehensive reply! :):):):)

No worries about the eBay software, I've found [/url][url=http://www.auctiva.com/]http://www.auctiva.com/ which is an online solution. So I can still list to eBay, as it's all web based.

The only thing that's a bit of a shame is it not running Adobe CS, but there again, Adobe 7.0 is fine for what I need to do :)

Just one other question if I may :)How much space is needed to operate linux? I'm partitioning the hdd off for it and will still have windows on it (sadly! :( ) as there are one or two appz that just aren't compatible for windows, but I am looking to make linux my default OS! :):)

Quote:Here we normally suggest Fedora or Ubuntu for new users, both of these are easy to install and are solid (i.e. don't fall over at the slightest breath).

What would you suggest for me then? :):)

Quote:Wow, thank you for you comprehensive reply! :):):):) 

No worries about the eBay software, I've found [/url][url=http://www.auctiva.com/]http://www.auctiva.com/ which is an online solution. So I can still list to eBay, as it's all web based.

The only thing that's a bit of a shame is it not running Adobe CS, but there again, Adobe 7.0 is fine for what I need to do :)

Just one other question if I may :)How much space is needed to operate linux? I'm partitioning the hdd off for it and will still have windows on it (sadly! :( ) as there are one or two appz that just aren't compatible for windows, but I am looking to make linux my default OS! :):)

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="7914" data-ipsquote-username="znx" data-cite="znx" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2181" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Here we normally suggest Fedora or Ubuntu for new users, both of these are easy to install and are solid (i.e. don't fall over at the slightest breath).

What would you suggest for me then? :):)

</div></blockquote>

Having used both Ubuntu and Fedora, I'd have to reccomend Fedora for your first time. Don't get Fedora Core 5 yet, though. It was just released 5 days ago, and it's still pretty buggy. I'd say go with 4 until Core 5 gets some more updates and etc.

Also, there is a Linux version of LimeWire, since it's java-based.

Also, welcome, from a poster who was on hiatus but is having problems with Core 5 and will post that elsewhere!

Ahh brilliant, thanks for that :)

Is a 10gb hard drive too small to put linux onto? Or do I need to uprade that first.

If I split it 50/50 would that work? :/

id suggest at least 10 gb for your fedora core install if you want to do all the things you mentioned in your first post

and welcome to the forums !

this post is great ! (thanks znx) I'll move it elswewhere later and pin

cheers

anyweb

Ok, thanks anyweb :)

I've installed Fedora Core 4 for the first time. Appears to be working fine except for 1 annoying error that comes up everytime I start it.

"No Volume Control Elements and/or devices fouond"

Any idea's what will fix that? o_O

Not too sure what the above problem, but when I re-installed it (wanted to partition it off differently) it stopped the error.

Linux is finally up and running properly! Not put many appz on it yet, will do that in time.

...and I'm loving what I'm seeing! B)B)B)

Thanks to linux noob, wouldn't have done it without reading the posts on here! :):)

good to hear that it's working !

remember for live 24/7 support meet us on IRC join the EFNET server and join #linux-noob

you can use xchat in Fedora for that

if you dont have it try this as root

Quote:yum -y install xchat

done !

cheers

anyweb

Pages: 1 2