Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
booting form cd: displays mosaic rubbish

Hi all,

I downloaded ubuntu 7.10 and am trying to run it. It boots, i get the 'cyborg/knightrider-swoosh-i'm-busy'thing, then the left to right filling progress bar and after that's at 100%... flash all colors, some mosaic pattern. I tried the different vga options, running in safe graphix mode, and the pattern changes with each different option but there's none that will give me a splash screen or whatever. just a screen filled with rubbish. It's like an old tv with snow, but with color.

asus m2n-mx with nvidia MCP61P chipset

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

i tried changing things in the bios, and again, the pattern changes a little but it's still there. i tried waiting a while, but when i returned from taking a shower it was still there, the cd had stopped spinning and there was no activity going on whatsoever. I then popped in a Damn Small Linux CD and rebooted and that worked fine.

Does anybody have an idea why this happens and what i should do to be able to get the windows monkey off my back (because of course, that's what it's all about...), or know in which topic this problem has already been covered?

i stress that it's right after the progress bar fills up, so 'clicking somewhere' or 'installing' or 'running' anything is not an option, unless it's bios-flash or something.

also, first installing the OS and then adding stuff doesn't apply here, because of please read what i've written above.

i am a total linux noob and would be eternally grateful for some help.

thanx in advance

hrk7474

Quote:Hi all,I downloaded ubuntu 7.10 and am trying to run it. It boots, i get the 'cyborg/knightrider-swoosh-i'm-busy'thing, then the left to right filling progress bar and after that's at 100%... flash all colors, some mosaic pattern. I tried the different vga options, running in safe graphix mode, and the pattern changes with each different option but there's none that will give me a splash screen or whatever. just a screen filled with rubbish. It's like an old tv with snow, but with color.

asus m2n-mx with nvidia MCP61P chipset

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

i tried changing things in the bios, and again, the pattern changes a little but it's still there. i tried waiting a while, but when i returned from taking a shower it was still there, the cd had stopped spinning and there was no activity going on whatsoever. I then popped in a Damn Small Linux CD and rebooted and that worked fine.

Does anybody have an idea why this happens and what i should do to be able to get the windows monkey off my back (because of course, that's what it's all about...), or know in which topic this problem has already been covered?

i stress that it's right after the progress bar fills up, so 'clicking somewhere' or 'installing' or 'running' anything is not an option, unless it's bios-flash or something.

also, first installing the OS and then adding stuff doesn't apply here, because of please read what i've written above.

i am a total linux noob and would be eternally grateful for some help.

thanx in advance

hrk7474
Don't know the answer to your question as I don't use Ubuntu too often, but I wonder if there's an option for a text mode installation? I know that with Fedora there is. Once you get Ubuntu installed you can deal with the video issues, which most of the time are not too complex, at least in terms of getting a basic GUI. Then you move forward with trying to install the correct video driver and getting the correct display resolution, etc. One step at a time.