Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some direction
Hey guys, very eager to jump into the forum and linux! OK so first off i do have 2 distros in mind 1 which is suse 10 and the other which is ubuntu (leaning towards ubuntu). Is ubuntu a good direction for a noob ? Now at the moment i do have a dual boot with windows xp and suse , i only installed the dual because my hard drive is partitioned in two and i do want to keep the things in the smaller partition. How would i go about doing that? and the second thing im most worried about is i have no idea hot to install things . My main concern is getting my WUSB54GC linksys wireless adapter installed (id be able to get help while on linux instead of having to switch to xp for wireless to work). If i can solve theseporblems linux will be my main and only os woot! :)

Quote:Hey guys, very eager to jump into the forum and linux! OK so first off i do have 2 distros in mind 1 which is suse 10 and the other which is ubuntu (leaning towards ubuntu). Is ubuntu a good direction for a noob ? Now at the moment i do have a dual boot with windows xp and suse , i only installed the dual because my hard drive is partitioned in two and i do want to keep the things in the smaller partition. How would i go about doing that? and the second thing im most worried about is i have no idea hot to install things . My main concern is getting my WUSB54GC linksys wireless adapter installed (id be able to get help while on linux instead of having to switch to xp for wireless to work). If i can solve theseporblems linux will be my main and only os woot! :)

I can vouch for the fact that Ubuntu would be a very good start if you've had no experience with Linux before. I haven't used SUSE for some time, so I can't really comment on recent versions of that!

I've had a Google around and I can't see any evidence that SUSE or Ubuntu would be easier than the other with regards to getting your wireless adapter running - it may be worth giving both a try and seeing if one of them detects it and sorts it out automatically.

both suse and ubuntu are great choices as is Fedora,

here's some reviews of suse and ubuntu right here on linux-noob.com

linux-noob.com itself runs on Fedora, and I use Fedora 7 as my daily linux desktop (on my laptop)

cheers

anyweb