Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
forums updated

notice anything different ?

cheers

anyweb

seems the upgrade got borked somehow

in the end we had to edit php.ini to reveal the php errors as any topic you clicked on revealed a BLANK PAGE

Code:
[root@www cacheid_6]# cp /usr/local/lib/php.ini /usr/local/lib/php.ini.backup

to turn on php error reporting edit php.ini (use locate php.ini to find it) and edit the following bits

Quote:error_reporting E_ALL display_errors = On

once done restart apache/httpd

the PHP error reported after modifying php.ini was

Quote:Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_6/skin_topic.php on line 696

luckily i backup (check out the apache section of the forums., and look at the backup script) so I restored that file to my webserver and it WORKED

now that it works, time to restore php.ini to it's previous non-error reporting state

Code:
[root@www cacheid_6]# cp /usr/local/lib/php.ini.backup /usr/local/lib/php.inicp: overwrite `/usr/local/lib/php.ini'? y

many thanks to the following

znx, jy, kobras ! and the other linux-noob members who helped out on #linux-noob and the admin channel !

good work dudes

cheers

anyweb

any time mate, im happy that all is fine and site is UP.

cheers :)

ace, shame that the upgrade broke us .. thank god you are a smart user and backup !!! :)

it broke again today, this time the error (via php method mentioned above) was

Quote:Fatal error: Class 'skin_topic_6' not found in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/forums/sources/ipsclass.php on line 2119

i copied back all of skin_cache from a backup and it's fine again,

dunno why it's happening though.....

any ideas ?

cheers

anyweb

Quote:any ideas ?

Without understanding how the forums software works, I can only assume that the skin_cache is generated at runtime. It is therefore possible that the skin_cache will regenerate if files are altered/updated (or by some other detection). I can only assume that when I added the additional field to the profile (check the user profile pages "Distribution") that it caused the skin to regenerate.

This basically means that if we do anything at the ACP related to the layout/colour et al, it will break the forums .. most disappointing.

Here is what I did to "break" the forums.
  • Login ACP

• Look & Feel

• With "IPB 2.2.0 Default" click on the drop-down menu and select "Edit template HTML"

• Go to "Topic View"

• Go to "renderrow"

• Edit and "Save Template Bit" (it doesn't matter what you edit there, even adding "Hello" will break it).

It says:

Wrote skin_cache/cacheid_6/skin_topic.php

just updated from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2

and once again now when you click on any topic i get

Quote:Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_6/skin_topic.php on line 696

as this is very annoying I re-read what you wrote above znx, found and located your 'change' and removed it. Once removed the forum renders all posts correctly

so i wonder was there a bug/mistake in what you were making a change to, or if the skin_cache file/folder itself had incorrect perms when you tried to make the change thereby causing the confusing error

anyway its working now, go check out the ACP, cool huh ?

cheers

anyweb