Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Install Help?!?!

I have a P4 at 1.7 Ghz, 512Mb of DDR RAM, a new Western Digital 160 HDD (which i set as master) an older IBM 40GB HDD (now set to slave that has Windows XP Pro installed on it) ...

I installed freespire 2.0 completely without any problems, i gave it 160gigs on the new harddrive but when the computer restarted it froze right at the beginning of the splash screen. I tried to reinstall (and all the other options on the cd) but the installation now freezes a few seconds after the splash screen comes up. I tried to boot up into windows, but nothing i did would let me. I ended up having to let windows rewrite the mdr just so it would load, but right before the logon screen is supposed to come up it just restarts o_O ... I ended up having to reinsall windows over the 160gb linux drive [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif[/img] , now i cant even see the G: drive (which linux reassigned to the old windows) however, i can see the other two NTFS partitions on that drive (still E: and F: )

What i really want to do is completely get rid of windows and move to linux (I'm sick and tired of all its problems [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_dry.png[/img] ) but it seems that isnt going to be as easy as i thought. I'm a somewhat savy windows user but i'm brand new to linux. I tried to install linux again but it still freezes on the splash screen every time. can anyone help me or give me any suggestions? did i do something wrong?

o_O

any chance that you could try another distro, such as knoppix/ubuntu/fedora

all of them have live CD options, which means you boot of the cd and you have full access to the os and if everything works, you can then install it

cheers

anyweb

one other thing, you say it freezes at the splash screen ? can you try disabling wireless (if you have it) in the bios, and remove any network cable

does it still freeze ?