Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My other HDD

I have two HDDs. Funnily enough, when my Windows mess up I lose all my data at which point I hate windows. So what I did was, I have a spare 60GB HDD which I install XP on and another 200GB HDD for all my files.

For my Linux installiation, I partition my 60GB drive in 40GB (XP) and 20GB (Linux). Whilst using Ubuntu, it has a shortcut to my other HDD on the desktop, or I can access it via folders /media/hdb1. When I removed Ubuntu (because I found it a little annoying installing things), I put SUSE on. After my successful SUSE installation; on the desktop my other HDD does not show, I went to the system programs bit and found a partitioner; at which I saw the 200GB drive was not mounted. So, I mounted it at /media/hdb1, I tried to access it but it wont let me due to permission problems......how do I fix this?

I can access it via the terminal whilst logged in as root or su but I don't want to go via the terminal all the time just to play a piece of music or two.

I assume that the 200Gb drive with all your files on it is NTFS. When mounting NTFS you need to add extra information to make it usable for a user rather than root.

Replace the bits with the correct items. This is an example entry for /etc/fstab

Code:
/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 ntfs users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

Check to see if you have something that exists like that already.

You can currently setup Linux for writing to NTFS partitions but I think its still not 100% enough to trust it with my files. If you want that though, replace the ntfs with ntfs-3g.

Code:
/dev/hdb1 /media/hdb1 ntfs-3g users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

You might need to install stuff to get support for ntfs-3g.

If you find this is still an issue supply information from these:

Code:
# fdisk -l
# cat /etc/fstab
# cat /proc/filesystems

OK thanks!