Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn it... GRUB Error

So I installed Ubuntu a while back and had a dual-boot thing going on. Bare in mind I am a newbie at linux and anything related to the actual mechanics of computers.

So everything is going fine, then yesterday I try and delete the Ubuntu partition and make it how it was before I installed it. So I do this and then when I reboot the computer, the error:

GRUB loading stage 1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...

error 17

I have heard it has to do with the MBR and stuff, but I don't know how to fix an of it...

Please note that I do not have a windows CD, and that the only way I can use my computer is by booting the Ubuntu live CD.

From the live cd I can tell that my windows partition is not gone since I can access the files so I guess I havent totally screwed things up.

I would really appreciate it if I could get very detailed directions, since I'm new to all of this.

Quote:So I installed Ubuntu a while back and had a dual-boot thing going on. Bare in mind I am a newbie at linux and anything related to the actual mechanics of computers. 

So everything is going fine, then yesterday I try and delete the Ubuntu partition and make it how it was before I installed it. So I do this and then when I reboot the computer, the error:

GRUB loading stage 1.5

error 17

I have heard it has to do with the MBR and stuff, but I don't know how to fix an of it...

Please note that I do not have a windows CD, and that the only way I can use my computer is by booting the Ubuntu live CD.

From the live cd I can tell that my windows partition is not gone since I can access the files so I guess I havent totally screwed things up.

I would really appreciate it if I could get very detailed directions, since I'm new to all of this.

Hi,

znx explained it well on this post: [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2242][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2242]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2242

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="11175" data-ipsquote-username="RickyCorrie" data-cite="RickyCorrie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="3157" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So I installed Ubuntu a while back and had a dual-boot thing going on. Bare in mind I am a newbie at linux and anything related to the actual mechanics of computers. 

GRUB loading stage 1.5

error 17

Hi,

znx explained it well on this post: [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2242][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2242]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2242

</div></blockquote>

Ive tried his solution but it just tells me that the drive doesn't exist.

Would it just be easier if I installed XP on a brand new HD from scratch?

bump
can you please paste the exact errors you get and the commands ?

Have you tried....

Booting windows xp setup

skip automated recovery using diskettes

run windows xp recovery via dos

select your windows xp installation

type fixboot

it will search all harddrives and all partitions for a windows os and setup a default xp boot ntldr

Quote:Have you tried.... 

Booting windows xp setup

skip automated recovery using diskettes

run windows xp recovery via dos

select your windows xp installation

type fixboot

it will search all harddrives and all partitions for a windows os and setup a default xp boot ntldr

he's deleted ubuntu while in windows xp, and

Quote:Please note that I do not have a windows CD, and that the only way I can use my computer is by booting the Ubuntu live CD.

so either he asks his friends for a copy or he'll have to figure out some other method of fixing the grub error

cheers

anyweb

Because he has deleted Ubuntu it looks like he will have to use the Windows XP recovery CD to reinstall the MBR