Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't mount fat32 drive

Hi all,

I have just installed Debian 4.0 on an old Dell Optiplex gx1. Everything installed great (apart from the onboard sound which i fixed after googling) but i can't access the fat32 hard drive which has some files i need to transfer. When i try to access it i get the following errors:

Unable to mount the selected volume.

libhal-storage.c 1401 : info: called libhal_free_dbus_error but dbuserror was not set.

process 4663: applications must not close shared connections - see dbus_connection_close() docs. this is a bug in the application.

error: device /dev/hda1 is not removable

error: could not execute pmount

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Hello. Can you copy+paste your hardware list to here ? just type dmesg and tell everything what it will tell you.

Btw. Hello to all you linux-noob users !

This should work change the hdb1 to what your fat partiton is I had the same issue

sudo mount -t fat -o nls=utf8,umask=0222 /dev/hdb1 /media/windowsc [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ph34r.png[/img]

to have it mount on boot

Open a terminal and type: sudo nano /etc/fstab

at the bottem of the page add this to the list:

/dev/hdb1 /media/windows ntfs users,gid=users,ro,umask=0222,utf8=true 0 0

Now, like the last one, you have to change hdb1 to whatever you had to change it to when you used the mount command.

I'm going to hope that you know how to use nano. If you dont, and cant figure it out let me know again, and I'll tell you how to save and exit.

Then once your done, reboot and check /media/windows to see if it mounted.