Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to make the switch from Win32 -> Linux?

Hello. ...I'm a complete Linux noob, so please bear with me.

I'm extremely interested in learning Linux, and was wondering are there any beginner books and distros anyone would recommend for someone who's coming from a strictly Windows environment? My background is strictly Windows - I do some vbscripting, system admin, MSI packaging, etc....

Also, I've begun doing some Perl scripting (Usuable with Linux/Unix, correct?), but I'm kind of at a loss as to what Distro I should be playing with.

Are there guides that possibly would tell you the Windows-equivalent Linux commands?

In my current Co. we use Redhat (which I do not have access to), but is that "the norm"for the rest of the Corporate world?

hi and welcome, fedora 7, ubuntu 7.04 and sled10 sp1 are all good distros to start with when starting with linux, all are current and very well supported

for more info about which linux distro to choose see this post

and also read this post about linux is not windows

any questions ? ask away here or on our IRC channel (see my sig)

cheers

anyweb

Quote:hi and welcome, fedora 7, ubuntu 7.04 and sled10 sp1 are all good distros to start with when starting with linux, all are current and very well supported 

for more info about which linux distro to choose see this post

and also read this post about linux is not windows

any questions ? ask away here or on our IRC channel (see my sig)

cheers

anyweb

heh.. the "Linux is not Windows" thread was pretty much what I was looking for. Nice write up.

Many thanks. ;)