Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Disk formatting from inside linux

Ok i have tried to use Gparted and i cannot seem to boot from the disc i made...weird.

I want to COMPLETELY reformat my hard drive.

or at least make a NTFS partition.

This is what lead to all this:

Ok so i get FC6 just to try linux. I install it and a few days later my system (while on vista aka "super virus") crashed and i lost everything.

I had downloaded and burned F7 and had not installed it yet so I decided to install it.

I bought XP yesterday and i put the disc in and restarted my system and a screen comes up that says "press any key to boot from CD" I hit enter and the screen goes blank and NOTHING happens.

I ask a tech and he said to flash my BIOS and reformat my drive.

Ok so i do not know how to flash my BIOS.

But I just want an NTFS hard drive first so that's all i am concerned with now.

About Gparted i downloaded it and burned it with the f7 disc burn utility and it did not ask to boot from the disc? So i set my system to boot from that drive and it cannot boot from it?

So how else can i part or format my drive?

I AM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And i am new to linux so if you know what to do be EXTREMELY DETAILED! (ESPECIALLY IS I HAVE TO USE THE TEXT BASED COMMAND LINE TERMINAL)!!!

Thanks for reading.

Quote:Ok i have tried to use Gparted and i cannot seem to boot from the disc i made...weird.I want to COMPLETELY reformat my hard drive.

or at least make a NTFS partition.

This is what lead to all this:

Ok so i get FC6 just to try linux. I install it and a few days later my system (while on vista aka "super virus") crashed and i lost everything.

I had downloaded and burned F7 and had not installed it yet so I decided to install it.

I bought XP yesterday and i put the disc in and restarted my system and a screen comes up that says "press any key to boot from CD" I hit enter and the screen goes blank and NOTHING happens.

I ask a tech and he said to flash my BIOS and reformat my drive.

Ok so i do not know how to flash my BIOS.

But I just want an NTFS hard drive first so that's all i am concerned with now.

About Gparted i downloaded it and burned it with the f7 disc burn utility and it did not ask to boot from the disc? So i set my system to boot from that drive and it cannot boot from it?

So how else can i part or format my drive?

I AM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And i am new to linux so if you know what to do be EXTREMELY DETAILED! (ESPECIALLY IS I HAVE TO USE THE TEXT BASED COMMAND LINE TERMINAL)!!!

Thanks for reading.
Burn GParted again and make sure you burn it as an image.