Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dual boot question

hi everyone.

I am downloading fedora 7 now, and I already have windows vista installed.

What should I do to make a dual-boot?

Some say "just install fedora and it will recognize vista" is this true?

I am a newbie to linux so if you please if there are long steps please consider that I am a NOOB in linux.

oh, i also need to know, how to install wine.

thanx a lot

Quote:hi everyone. I am downloading fedora 7 now, and I already have windows vista installed. What should I do to make a dual-boot? Some say "just install fedora and it will recognize vista" is this true? I am a newbie to linux so if you please if there are long steps please consider that I am a NOOB in linux. oh, i also need to know, how to install wine. thanx a lot
First you need a partition to install Fedora to. Most people create one using a tool like GParted and take some of the empty space from their "C" drive and turn it into an EXT3 partition for Linux. Once that is done, you boot from the Fedora 7 DVD, install to your new partition and at the end of the install Fedora will install GRUB, it's boot loader. When you reboot you will have a menu from which you can choose Linux or Windows.
I have done it already. The grub configuration does automatically recognize that there is another operating system which it refers to as other. I just renamed it to Windows Vista, went on my merry way and it worked.
okay thanx a lot guys