Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
im akward x)

well I'm not "new" to linux, but i am a noob, and linux manages to make me feel fairly dumb, every time. I'm -VERY- windows native so using linux is like using acid, my worlds upsidedown and inside out and getting the new concepts into my brain is difficult. like rewriting BIOS compared to rewriting on a drive, just not quite as easy to replace (for me at least 0;)

I feel like telling my life story.

i got my first compyooter when i was 11, which was that long ago! i'm only 16 atm, and my first computer was a windows 3.1 compy (wow ski.exe is fun) it just kind of clicked. I became a Windows native like people become an Apple native, it was easy for me, and it just kinda clicked. but since i've been 14, i've felt like there was something else avaliable, something that worked (think "1984") the system was the only one you really needed. i felt like the "paradise" that was windoez was actaully a lie.

the main problems ive had with linux has probably got to be it's basic foundation of a system of itself on the graphical and "process" level (process as in the process of which things are done)

I never thought (in my windows dreams) that i would have to "compile" my own executable, which in fact would not really an executable, the term "exe" is just one of those windows things thats driven deep into my brainular region(fake words). its going to be that entire job of ripping myself from the the windows written Defaults that my fingers and sight has designed for myself. I have no IDEA why ctrl-V would paste something down, but its so natural , that i never even thought to question it. (Like hating the jew in 1984 perhaps?) the big brother that was destroying and limiting my experience THROUGH "giving me what i wanted" did a very good job on me. and It's like to be as hard as learning a second language, without having a first language to lean upon for knowledge. so i am indeed at heart, someone whos never touched a linux computer in my life.

i don't want to say that i know "nothing" about how linux works, but im pretty damn close.

So since my windows is ridden with ddeadly things i want to stay away from, im deciding to give linux a fourth, serious go. I kept leaving because i was too stubborn to understand how to compile things to get what i want. Another limiting factor was getting the internet to work, for some distrobutions it wouldnt EVER connect, for my knoppix , It would do it on startup. what made me feel dumb was that as soon as i changed the PPPoE config, i couldn't for the life of me get it back on. opening the Kon is like opening a black abyss of power, twitching a finger destroys a planet.

so while my computer is shit, im going to be running off a knoppix written to my 1Gb of ram

giving me a handfull of download room to try out comiling and the other stuff before i feel brave enough to install knoppix, get what i need, and download and burn an alternate, full distro.

ill be in here -alot- i think. wish me luck?

Linux is of course all about transferring your concept of the windows system into the linux. Some people find this easy, others find it more awkward (although as hard as flashing some BIOS? hehe)

windows 3.1, as your first machine. hehe. i started before that with amstrads and spectrums, programming in basic, lots of fun!

i think that as long as you have some patience you will survive! linux has a hurdle to get over but once there you will find that you can pick up most things.

good luck!

Quote:ill be in here -alot- i think. wish me luck?

so where are you then ;-)