Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing .tar on fedora core 6

anyone help on installing .tar files on fc6?

I am trying to install navicat mysql GUI.

installing tar files is easy

Quote:wget [/url][url=http://some.website.com/somefile.tar.gz]http://some.website.com/somefile.tar.gz (get some tar.gz file) 

tar -xvzf somefile.tar.gz (decompress the archive, remove the z option if it's not tar.gz)

cd somefile (change to the directory that you have extracted the tar to)

./configure && make && checkinstall (configure the package and then 'install' it)

as always, when you untar a file

Code:
tar -xvf somefile.tar

read the INSTALL.TXT or README file that is included in the extracted files.

cheers

anyweb

Heya, if you are talking about the trial, it actually comes as a binary. So the installation is rather simple just untar and move the binary.

Something like the following:

Code:
# mkdir -p /opt/navicat
# wget -q http://www.navicat.com/download/navicat_en_trial-6.0-3.tar.gz
# tar -xzf navicat_en_trial-6.0-3.tar.gz -C /opt/navicat
# echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/opt/navicat' >>~myuser/.bashrc

Then to run, you simply type: start-navicat

That should do it then. If you have issues edit the file /opt/navicat/start-navicat it has suggestions in it to tell you what to try.

I got the application installed without any problem. I have another question based on this.

I have a rpm license file for that version of navicat.

rpm -Uvh Navicat_Linux_std_EN_license-6.0-3.i586.rpm

The version of navicat is 6.0.3 trial. I want to use the above license.

On typing the above rpm, I get the following.

[root@x1-6-00-c0-9f-40-e0-ad programs]# rpm -Uvh Navicat_Linux_std_EN_license-6.0-3.i586.rpm

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]

1:navicat ########################################### [100%]

[root@x1-6-00-c0-9f-40-e0-ad programs]#

But each time, i run the application, i still get the trial version being opened.

can anyone help on this?

Quote:But each time, i run the application, i still get the trial version being opened. can anyone help on this?

I can only guess that the placement of the license doesn't match where navicat expects it to be, do this so we can see what that RPM installed.

Code:
# rpm -qpl Navicat_Linux_std_EN_license-6.0-3.i586.rpm

That will output a list of the files and where they have gone. Hopefully it has installed in some direct path and we can simply move the navicat stuff into the same place (or the other way, move the license into the navicat dir).

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="10691" data-ipsquote-username="abhishek77" data-cite="abhishek77" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2996" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>But each time, i run the application, i still get the trial version being opened. can anyone help on this?

I can only guess that the placement of the license doesn't match where navicat expects it to be, do this so we can see what that RPM installed.

Code:
# rpm -qpl Navicat_Linux_std_EN_license-6.0-3.i586.rpm

That will output a list of the files and where they have gone. Hopefully it has installed in some direct path and we can simply move the navicat stuff into the same place (or the other way, move the license into the navicat dir).

</div></blockquote>

I did the above check. it shows navicat is installed in directory /opt/navicat/start-navicat without the trial restriction but also it had been extracted to directory /home/abhishek77/Desktop/abhishek_folder/Apps/programs/navicat_en_trial-6.0-3 with the 30 day trial. So I think that the rpm license file did remove the time limit for the one in the opt/navicat directory.

Even though i got the license file working, i would like to know since you stated above that the license can be moved to installation directory from current directory or vice versa, how is this achevied? which files need to be moved around? or how do i apply the license to a specific directory?

Thank-you!

Quote:I did the above check. it shows navicat is installed in directory /opt/navicat/start-navicat without the trial restriction but also it had been extracted to directory /home/abhishek77/Desktop/abhishek_folder/Apps/programs/navicat_en_trial-6.0-3 with the 30 day trial. So I think that the rpm license file did remove the time limit for the one in the opt/navicat directory.

Ok, first off lets just check to make sure that you have a licensed version in the other directory. Do:

Code:
# /opt/navicat/start-navicat

If that works and is a licensed copy, then we can be sure that the install is ok. So you can simply remove the /home/abhishek77/Desktop/abhishek_folder/Apps/programs/navicat_en_trial-6.0-3 and you should be ok.