Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu grub error

Hey all...

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, but I really need help. I know pretty much nothing about linux and was following my friends instructions for installing ubuntu. Everything was cool until the restart.

I have partitioned about 30gb to Ubuntu, leaving around 150gb for Windows 2000. When it tries to boot from the hard disk, it comes up with grub error 17 at loading stage 1.5.

I'm a complete noob at this and can't make any sense of other solutions i've found online. I REALLY need to get this fixed pronto.

thanks in advance.

have a look at this post please

cheers

anyweb

Quote:have a look at this post please 

cheers

anyweb

Thanks...but I really don't understand any of that. I don't know where to go to make those changes, or how to because from the grub loading screen, i can't get anywhere.

Quote:Thanks...but I really don't understand any of that. I don't know where to go to make those changes, or how to because from the grub loading screen, i can't get anywhere.

First .. you need to know the layout of your disks!

Ubuntu has a live cd .. you could use that like this:
  • Boot Live CD

• Open a terminal

• Type "grub"

• Type "root (hdX,Y)", where X and Y represent the DISK and PARTITION. Counting from 0 = first disk, 0 = first partition, therefore hd0,0 is hda1 (first hard disk first partition). You need to set this correctly, this is why the Error 17 occurs!

• Type "setup (hd0)" (to install on the MBR, ok for most people)

• Type "quit"

• Reboot.

That should be it....

OR

Do this on the Live CD terminal ..

Code:
# fdisk -l

And pass that information on to us. And I will tell you the exact commands to use.

OR!!

You can reinstall your Windows mbr by using the Windows install CD and going to the recovery console and typing "fixmbr"

Hope this helps.