Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COMPLETELY lost

Just a couple of days ago I put in a new hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP on my Dell notebook.. however it's complete crap, there are issues with drivers, and issues with the internet. Anyway, I just want to scrap everything and install Linux, but no matter how many of these posts I read, I still am so confused about a lot of things..

What exactly is KDE and Gnome, etc, and what are Ubuntu and Fedora in relation to them?

and does anybody have any suggestions for how I should go about getting Linux? or what "distro" I should install? I mostly use my computer for multimedia.

Lastly, after reinstalling XP, I was told that I needed all these drivers from Dell to make it function. Am I going to run into this problem with Linux?

I know I am not very good at this computer thing, and I appreciate any help that you guys can give me!

Hi there! I'll try and answer your questions in turn:

Quote:What exactly is KDE and Gnome, etc, and what are Ubuntu and Fedora in relation to them?

KDE and GNOME are 'desktop environments'. A desktop environment is the collection of graphical programs you use. For example, your file manager program is part of the desktop environment. KDE and GNOME are different choices of environment that are available (there are also more). I'd recommend GNOME if you're new (it's what is default with most anyway now) and KDE if you want loads of configurability.

Ubuntu and Fedora are distributions or distros. A distribution is everything - all the software you need to make up a working operating system. The desktop environments alone won't get you very far, as they're just the pretty graphics that sit on top of the OS. The distribution will include everything from the desktop environment all the way down to the geeky stuff that powers the OS.

Quote:and does anybody have any suggestions for how I should go about getting Linux? or what "distro" I should install? I mostly use my computer for multimedia.

The best way to get Linux is to head over to the website of the distro you want and download an .iso image. You can now use your CD burning software's "Burn ISO image" option to make a CD which you then boot the computer from. As to which distro you should try, that's a difficult question. Ubuntu is one of the easiest just to pick up and use, but we have a lot of people here who use Fedora, so we might be able to help you more with that.

Quote:Lastly, after reinstalling XP, I was told that I needed all these drivers from Dell to make it function. Am I going to run into this problem with Linux?

It's quite difficult to tell without knowing the exact specs and model number of your computer. It should work, though. An easy way to try would be to download Ubuntu, burn it and then boot from the CD. What Ubuntu does is it boots straight off the CD into a working complete operating system, so you can try it out without committing to installing it (it will be slower than usual because it's running from CD though).

I think that would be a good way for you to try it out and see whether it works before committing.

Quote:I know I am not very good at this computer thing, and I appreciate any help that you guys can give me!

No problem! That's what we're here for! :)Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the fast and helpful reply! I just installed Fedora 6 and everything works fine, except I can't figure out how to get the wireless internet working with all that kernel talk.. haha. Thanks again!!

Listen man..if you still look at this topic, give up on the whole wireless internet.

I tried and well....i had to go hard line.

Just grab an ethernet cable. And well yeah.

OR! You could if you can figure it out( a MAJOR super tech friend of mine couldn't and neithr could I so...) you could try MADWIFI.

i use wireless in linux everyday via ndiswrapper, or native linux drivers,

the wireless card you choose will decide whether it's native, ndiswrapper or the madwifi route,

if you insist on using a usb wireless card then you'll likely have issues.